Keeping your pets safe on Halloween

WORCESTER CO., Md. – Veterinarians want parents to be mindful Wednesday night when their children come home with bags full of candy, because those sweets can spell trouble for pets.

Chocolate is highly toxic to dogs. Even consuming just a small amount can cause some serious health problems.

You may think the danger stops there, but sugary candies can cause problems too.

If your pet is diabetic, consuming a piece of candy could land them in the hospital.

Pets also don’t take time to unwrap chocolates and candies when eating them, meaning they will get plastic in their stomachs which can cause long term health problems.

So overall, the best thing to do is avoid an issue altogether by putting your candy somewhere a pet can’t reach it.

Dr. Lauren Carlson, a veterinarian at the VCA Animal Hospital said, “Keep the candy up in a cabinet somewhere high, not just on the counter. Most dogs will counter surf so keep it somewhere safe away from pets and just restrict what’s out. Don’t leave that candy bowl of M&Ms on the counter because the dogs gonna get it.”

If your dog does ingest chocolate on Halloween, you are encouraged to call animal poison control at 888-426-4435.

From there they can tell you exactly what to do.

Categories: Delaware, Maryland, Virginia