Family escapes Bethany Beach rental home blaze unscathed

BETHANY BEACH, Del. – A family planning to enjoy their vacation is now counting their blessings. They escaped a fire unscathed Tuesday morning.

“At approximately 9:30 we received an alarm for a residential structure fire. Additional units then arrived here, and had fire showing through the roof of the home,” said Public Information Officer for the Millville Volunteer Fire Company, Tony Petralia.

The family renting the home on May Drive tells 47ABC their vacation from Pennsylvania was cut short by the blaze. They were inside the home, eating breakfast when the flames started. The family says they came outside, only to be met with the sight of heavy fire and thick smoke. Each one of them were able to get out alive, and unhurt.

Neighbors tell 47ABC the neighborhood is typically quiet. But, it turned into a busy scene as fire crews rushed to knock down the flames. Much of the first and second floors were gutted. The rental home was sold for almost $1 million, according to Zillow. Crews on scene could be heard remarking that the loss of a home, no matter its value, is nothing compared to the potential of a lost life.

No firefighters were hurt. However, Petralia says the summer heat made the job no easier. “We have approximately 60 firefighters and two or three EMS units here, providing rehab for the firefighters, given the conditions today outside, as hot and humid as it is,” he said.

Fire investigators combed through the charred remains for a sign of what sparked the flames. The Delaware Office of the State Fire Marshal says an electrical malfunction in an outside pool equipment area is to blame. Damage is estimated at $500,000.

Categories: Delaware, Local News