Business owners petition to remove barriers on Rehoboth Avenue
REHOBOTH BEACH, Del. – As Delaware continues to adjust after beginning to reopen yesterday, some business owners are pleading with Rehoboth Beach commissioners to remove barriers along Rehoboth Avenue.
City commissioners voted to install the barriers last week in an effort to increase outdoor dining and sidewalk space.
Now, some business owners have submitted a petition to the commissioners asking them to remove the barriers. The business owners say the limited parking and the barriers outside of their buildings have made it hard for customers to get inside.
But one commissioner 47 ABC spoke with says this was the best option to make sure people were social distancing.
“In these unprecedented times we have to try what we can and try new ideas to ensure safe and healthy social distancing, but also to get our economic recovery going,” Commissioner Lisa Schlosser said.
Another commissioner we spoke with says she believes the commissioners, including herself, may have rushed the decision.
Susan Gay says with all the businesses coming forward now, she’s afraid not enough of them had the opportunity to voice their concerns before the barriers went into place.
She says the commissioners previously planned to revisit the situation on June 16, but she thinks they need to do so sooner.
“With all of the information now coming back, there’s like 40-50 businesses that say if you do this, we’re going out of business because you’re blocking access to our store,” Gay said.
Gay tells 47 ABC the commissioners had a meeting planned for 3 o’clock on Tuesday where they planned to talk about the barriers. Any updates or decisions made will be updated here.