Ocean Pines man charged with leaving the scene of fatal crash


ODESSA, Del. – An Ocean Pines, Md. man has been arrested after he left the scene of a fatal crash Friday afternoon. Delaware State Police say around 3:15 p.m. they responded to the crash in the area of Exit 136 on Korean War Veterans Memorial Highway (SR1). Police say a 61-year-old Camden-Wyoming woman was driving her BMW in the left lane, and 25-year-old Luke Sichau was driving his Nissan in the right lane. Sichau reportedly tried to merge into the left lane, and collided with the right side of the 61-year-old woman’s BMW.

Police say the BMW went off the side of the road and rolled over a guardrail. The BMW came to a stop on its roof. Police say during the crash, 92-year-old Shantaben Patel of Camden-Wyoming was ejected from the BMW. The woman was reportedly not wearing her seatbelt. Police say she was airlifted from the scene, and taken to Christiana Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead. Her name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.

Meanwhile, police say the driver of the BMW and another 59-year-old male passenger were taken by EMS to Christiana Care Middletown Emergency Department. Police say they were both wearing their seatbelts, and were treated and released with minor injuries.

Police say after the crash, Sichau kept driving and left the scene. Around 5:30 p.m. that evening, police say Sichau turned himself into State Police at Troop 9 in Odessa. Sichau was charged with leaving the scene of a collision resulting in death, which is a felony. he was also charged with operation of a vehicle causing death of another person. Sichau was arraigned at JP11 and released on $2,000 unsecured bond. Sichau was not hurt in the crash.

SR1 was closed in both directions for about 4.5 hours while the crash was being investigated, and eventually cleared. Police say they are still investigating the crash. Anyone with information is asked to contact Detective J. Forester at (302) 365-8485.
Categories: Crime, Local News, Maryland