Somerset county public schools head back for in-person learning, full time


SOMERSET CO., Md – The school district made an announcement to welcome back 56% of enrolled students for in-person learning. The remaining 44% of students and their families chose to continue the rest of the school year, virtually.

Unlike neighboring school districts, Somerset will not have a hybrid learning option. School officials say, this decision comes after considering classroom sizes, transportation, and class scheduling. They found a way to return to in-person learning full time.

We’re told they’re focused on providing the best options for students education, while also ensuring their safety. With the use of a COVID safety officer, they say they believe this is the right choice and will get kids back on track to finishing the school year. Public Relations Specialist of Somerset County Public Schools, Victoria Miele says, “Fingers crossed that we will come out of this at some point over the summer or at least have some of those restrictions reduced so that next year perhaps we can welcome more families back.”

We’re also told, they intend to offer in-person services over summer such as tutoring and specific programs to address learning loss in students. They say they will continuously monitor the pandemic and the guidelines from state, to ensure their kids are learning while in a safe environment.

Categories: Education, Local News, Maryland