Farmers feeling effects of drought on Delmarva

DELMARVA – After several hot and dry weeks, farmers say they have had enough.

“It’s so blame hot,” said George Rider, a farmer in Delmar, Delaware.

“I mean it’s going to be 90 degrees tomorrow and Thursday,” said Rider.

Some farmers say the drought has resulted in a 50 percent loss in double crops, which means two or more crops grown on the same field during a single year.

“If it doesn’t germinate than it won’t come up at all,” said Rider.

“It’s just wasted,” said Rider.

Rider says drought has forced farmers to pick up crops like soybeans much faster than usual. Otherwise, the dry heat could take a huge toll on their business.

“It’s speeding stuff up because the plants are dying,” said Rider, “There’s no moisture and they’re dying.”

“If you ride around and you see soybean fields are already brown and look like this they shouldn’t be like that just yet,” said Rider.

Not only are their soybeans drying out around the fields, but also their cover crops like rye, which protects and improves the soil.

“It’s so dry that the cover crop isn’t able to germinate,” said Rider.

“It depends on how quick you spread it, 75 percent of it might come up, the other 25 percent doesn’t.”

Although some farmers will pay more for irrigation, it is a situation that has left them praying for rain and a chance for their crops to flourish.

“We’ve actually had to irrigate cover crop now, which is unheard of to try to get it to come up,” said Rider.

Despite the dry weather, some farmers say that with less rain this year, they have had much more success with their corn.

Farmers say that if this drought continues our community could get an influx of brush fires.

Categories: Delaware