3 homes destroyed in Slaughter Beach Fire

SLAUGHTER BEACH, Del.  – Three homes were destroyed Wednesday after a fire broke out in Slaughter Beach on Bayside Avenue. Thankfully, no one was injured.

According to the fire marshals office, deputy fire marshals determined it was an accidental fire caused by a house generator on the exterior of the home. The damages are estimated at $800,000 total.

Firefighters got on the scene around 2:30 pm and said they could see the smoke from miles away.

“You could see the smoke from Route 1, I was about a half-mile to a mile away when you could start to see the fire coming off the house. When I arrived in front of the structure it was fully involved,” said Milton Fire Dept Asst. Fire Chief Chad Clendaniel.

Neighbors also said the fire quickly grew to the point that smoke began to billow.

“When I first saw it, it was ablaze… big fire and smoke rolling across the marsh,” said Jim White, who lives a few doors down from where the fire started.

Clendaniel said one man was inside the home where the fire started but was able to make it out okay.

Jason Pinder, general manager for National Restoration, was able to shed more light on who that man is and what he went through.

“There was a gentleman from DNREC that was driving past, young man, he happened to see that there was a fire. He saw Charlie (Wrzeniwski)  in the window. He stopped here and actually pulled him out at that time,” Pinder said.

 

Categories: Delaware, Local News