Families begin the process of rebuilding homes destroyed by tornado

LAUREL, Del. – “This is an all hands on deck kind of situation,” said Lead Estimator for Paul Davis Restoration, Dan Stevenson.

It’s been three days since Monday’s natural disaster rocked Sussex County. Leaving many families in complete disbelief. As their homes, cars, and other personal belongings were destroyed right before their eyes.

“You see it on TV, down in Alabama, they have tornadoes coming through but I never expected it to be here. It was just a total shock,” said resident Robert Trout.

Now, crews are rolling up their sleeves and working around the clock doing emergency repairs. Trying to salvage as much as they can of the homes that bared the brunt of the storm.

“We’ve got our mitigation guys out here getting the roof tarped up for them. We’re getting the contents out of the house for people, just getting everything safe, secure, dry. Just trying to get them helped out as much as we can,” said Stevenson.

“Thank God they’re being able to take care of most of this because I don’t even know where to start. It’s like I want to do something but I don’t know what to do,” said Laurel resident Kimberly McWilliams.

While progress has been made so far, families tell us they’ve still got a ways to go.

“The ceilings have to be torn out and redone, the hardwood floors which is throughout the house, they have to be replaced, the garage is going to have to be replaced, it’s going to be a process,” said Trout.

With an orange ‘X’ marked on their house deeming the property ‘unlivable’ this family says it’ll be some quite some time before they can call this house their home again.

“I was originally thinking 3 weeks, but it’s going to be a few months,” said McWilliams.

But despite the long road of work ahead, many say they’re just grateful that everyone made it out alive.

“It could’ve been a lot worse, it really could’ve been there’s a lot of blessings, there’s a lot of blessings,” said McWilliams.

 

 

 

Categories: Delaware, Local News