MSP: Three charged after knife fight at McDonald’s

[gtxvideo vid=”ESoXwtba” playlist=”” pid=”9FCH1Fwp” thumb=”” vtitle=””]

Three people are facing charges after troopers say two men were involved in a knife fight in the parking lot of the Queen Anne's County restaurant. 

Maryland State Police say on Saturday, shortly after 3:00 PM, troopers from the MSP Centreville barrack responded to McDonald's located at 12 Chester Plaza for a reported assault with a knife. Troopers say it was reported that a male suspect was in the parking lot, threatening a McDonald's employee with a knife. The troopers' investigation revealed that a man, later identified as 31-year-old Joseph Hughes, initiated a confrontation with another unknown customer of McDonald's, in the drive-thru.

Troopers report that a physical altercation began (pushing and shoving), between the Chester man and the unknown customer. Authorities say the altercation was broken up and the unknown man left the scene.

MSP reports that Hughes then began arguing with a McDonald's employee while in the parking lot. Hughes allegedly began yelling racial slurs at a McDonald's employee. Police say the employee, 41-year-old Sylvester Harris IV, then went out to the parking lot and attempted to get Hughes to leave. 

Law enforcement says Harris told Hughes that he had a knife and he would use it if Hughes did not leave. According to the report, at that point, both men drew their knives and engaged in a physical altercation, with the knives, in the parking lot. During the knife fight, police say Hughes was cut and stabbed on his back. Authorities say Harris received an injury to his hand (possibly broken). Police report the Hughes' girlfriend, 30-year-old Danielle Clements, sustained a laceration to her hand. 

MSP says Hughes was detained at the scene and EMS was requested for all three individuals. Hughes was taken to Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis. Clements and Harris were taken by EMS to the Queen Anne's Emergency Center in Grasonville. According to EMS, the individuals received non-life-threatening injuries.

Troopers say they contacted the Queen Anne's County State's Attorney's Office and reviewed the investigative information. Authorities say they were advised  by the state's attorney's office to charge all three individuals.

Hughes and Harris were charged with first degree assault, second degree assault, and reckless endangerment. Clements was charged with attempted 2nd degree murder, first degree assault, second degree assault, and reckless endangerment. 

Categories: Local News, Maryland