Monday Memo – October 31, 2016
TO: ALL STAFF
DATE: 31 OCTOBER 2016
And with that greeting comes the reminder to be careful when you are out and about late this afternoon and this evening. Little trick or treaters are notorious for paying more attention to candy collection than area traffic. Sometimes their masks and costumes further restrict their vision, so drive with the assumption that they won’t notice you.
• The November Ratings Period started Thursday and goes for four consecutive weeks. As a broadcaster, you and any member of your household are not permitted to participate in any television survey conducted by Nielsen. If you receive a telephone call about participating, advise them as to why you cannot. If you receive paperwork, return it to Nielsen with an explanation and advise your Supervisor. In advance, thanks for your cooperation.
NEW FROM 47 ABC NEWS
• Starting today, we will convert some of the commercial inventory in the 6:30PM (M-F) national newscast on Azteca to local news content in Spanish. These cut-ins will include features, weather and Community Calendar for now. Stay tuned for further developments!
• Congratulations to Drew Prouse, winner of our Crime Watch Daily Flashlight/Gadget in last week’s drawing. Because it was such a popular item, we decided to repeat the prize for this week. You can sign up for your chance to win on the Station bulletin board across from the time clock. Per usual procedure, the drawing will be Friday morning and the winner announced in the next Monday Memo.
IN ANTICIPATION OF THE GENERAL ELECTION NEXT TUESDAY (11/8)
• Most election sites are open before or after the normal workday to allow all workers to have an opportunity to vote. If, however, you have a shift which complicates that, work with your supervisor to determine the best time for you to leave to vote. Much has been said about exercising your right to vote and, per a quote attributed to Franklin D. Roosevelt, “Nobody will ever deprive the American people of the right to vote except the American people themselves and the only way they could do this is by not voting.”
SPECIALS ON 47 ABC THIS WEEK INCLUDE
• Tonight at 10 = “All Access Nashville: Celebrating the CMA Awards with Robin Roberts”
• Wednesday at 8PM = “The 50th Annual CMA Awards
WEEK-LONG SPECIAL ON ME-TV:
All this week, Me-TV will be airing a M*A*S*H series selected by Jamie Farr as his favorites. Here is the promo that starts today on-air and as a :10 version airing as a pre-roll. This spot is clean but the one airing was tagged out by our Jamie: 30 BEST BY FARR clean
LOCAL FOOD DRIVES
If you are aware of local food drives that we might be able to help promote, please send the information over to me. John Ebert produced a :15 spot with Lenita Wesson that is set up for us to tag individual food drives and run them in rotation. Here is the spec spot tagged out with Salvation Army: WMDTFoodDrive Salvation 15
OUT IN THE COMMUNITY
• Thursday, we will participate in the Chamber of Commerce annual Job Fair at the Centre at Salisbury. The event runs from 3 to 6PM. I will be out there to set up and man the booth until Phil Bankert arrives to take over for the last hour and do the tear down. We’ve got seven job openings and I’m hoping we will find qualified candidates to get some of those positions filled.
• Friday, I will represent our Stations at the annual meeting of the Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore at noon at the Fountains.
47 ABC WANTS TO WISH A HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO EVERYONE ON DELMARVA!
• Yes, that’s right! The Good Morning Delmarva Birthday Club on 47 ABC wants to recognize everyone’s birthday, starting today and here’s the challenge: we need birthdays and we need them now. If you could enter your birthday and those of your family, friends, in-laws, out-laws etc. (you really should have their permission and it is critical that you get the date correct), it will help get us started. You are not eligible to win, but we can still list your birthday. In this particular contest, your immediate family members are eligible to win.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES TO
• Asia Johnson, who will be celebrating tomorrow (and)
• Charles Roberts and Elaine Haggerty, both of whom will be celebrating Wednesday
WE HAVE 3 ANNIVERSARIES OF NOTE:
• On Thursday, Victoria Leibensperger will be with us one year
• On Friday, Leanne Guyette will be with us six years (and)
• On Sunday, Jaime Roberts will be with us three years
Thank you all for your many contributions on behalf of our Stations.
BIG DEALS FOR THIS WEEK INCLUDE
• Today = Café Milano in Seaford ($20 voucher for $10)
• Tomorrow = Executive Transportation in Bridgeville ($684 voucher for $342)
• Wednesday = Ky West in Ocean City ($20 voucher for $10)
• Thursday = Pappa Grande in Rehoboth and Selbyville ($20 voucher for $10)
• Friday = El Coqui in Frederica ($20 voucher for $10)
• Aviation History Month
• Lung Cancer Awareness Month
• National Alzheimer’s Disease Awareness Month
SPECIAL DAYS INCLUDE:
• Today is Halloween (and)
• “National Knock-Knock Day” (I’ll spare you a joke)
• Tomorrow is All Saints Day
• Tomorrow is also “National Cook for Your Pet Day”
• Thursday is “National Men Make Dinner Day”
• Saturday is “Sadie Hawkins Day” (and)
• Daylight Savings Time ends on Sunday (you get an extra hour of sleep)
WE CURRENTLY HAVE SEVEN IMMEDIATE OPENINGS:
• Studio Tech (part time; 2 openings): See Josh Lynch
• MCO (part time/ fill in): see Ken Evans
• News Anchor (full time): See Sarah Truitt
• News Producer (full time): See Sarah Truitt
• Executive Producer (full time): see Sarah Truitt
• Technical Director/Studio Tech/Editor (full time): See Josh Lynch
• Account Executive (full time): See Teri Monahan
In-house candidates are encouraged to contact their respective Supervisor at their earliest convenience. If you know of someone who has the necessary qualifications and would be a good addition to our Team, please share the information about these openings with them. Brief job descriptions are posted on both bulletin boards and applications and more information can be found on our website. Marquee Broadcasting, Inc., along with its holdings, is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Make it a great week!