Nearly $600K in grants announced for Maryland Spay and Neuter Grant Program
More than a dozen non-profit and government organizations in Maryland, have received grant money, to get more animals fixed, to bring pet population numbers down, in the state and reduce euthanasia.
The Maryland Department of Agriculture announced on Monday, that 19 nonprofit and governmental organizations across the state would be getting a combined $600,000 in grants for statewide Spay and Neuter Grant Programs. The Spay and Neuter Grants Program was created by the General Assembly in 2013, which is aimed at reducing the number of cats and dogs euthanized in shelters across the state, by providing competitive grants to promote and provide spay and neuter services and education.
The project is required to give priority to low-income communities and populations, whenever possible. The fee comes from a special fee paid by pet food companies that sell product in Maryland. Thirty applications were received for more than $1 million in funding, and after a reviewing the submissions, The Spay and Neuter Advisory Board granted 19 for a total of nearly $600,000, in 13 Maryland counties.
Here on the shore, Queen Anne’s County, Caroline, Talbot, Dorchester, and Somerset residents can benefit. Check out the fill list of recipients, below.
· 104 The Lifesaver Spay/Neuter Program by HART for Animals, Inc. targeting Garrett & Allegany Cos. ($38,800.00)
o A continuation of FY15 project, to provide services to 200 additional pet dogs and 200 additional pet cats of low-income pet owners in two counties.
· 108 Don’t Have a Litter-We’ll Fix Your Critter by the Animal Welfare League of Queen Anne’s County targeting Queen Anne’s Co. ($11,250.00)
o Provides free spay and neuter to 100 pet dogs and 150 pet cats of low income pet owners in seven zip codes in the eastern part of the county and provide bilingual education.
· 111 Thurmont Ferals Project by Tip Me Frederick targeting Frederick Co. ($23,736.00)
o Targets Thurmont, Emmitsburg, and the surrounding area to spay and neuter 600 unowned cats.
· 106 Don’t Pay to Spay by the Caroline County Humane Society targeting Caroline & Dorchester Cos. ($41,058.00)
o A continuation of FY15 project, to provide free services to 124 additional pet dogs and 400 additional pet cats of low-income pet owners in two counties. Targets low-income pet owners throughout Caroline County and low income pet owners in Federalsburg and Hurlock in Dorchester County.
· 113 Eastside Spay & Neuter Program (ESNP) by the Baltimore County Department of Health targeting Baltimore Co. ($45,514.00)
o Targets low-income pet owners in Dundalk/Turner’s Station and Sparrow’s Point in east Baltimore County and will provide outreach and no-cost surgeries to 770 pet cats and 346 pet dogs.
· 122 Partnering to Provide Free Spay/Neuter Services for Low-Income Residents in Baltimore City by the MD SPCA and BARCS targeting Baltimore City ($110,450.00)
o A continuation of FY15 project, to provide free services to 250 additional pet dogs and 1,000 additional pet cats of low-income pet owners in six zip codes in Baltimore City.
· 125 Jessup Community Cat Colonies by Sunshine’s Friends Cat Rescue and Sanctuary, Inc. targeting Anne Arundel & Howard Cos. ($7,106.40)
o Targets cat colonies five locations in the Jessup area and will alter 112 unowned cats.
· 101 A Bigger & Better Spay Spa & Neuter Nook by Rude Ranch Animal Rescue/ Spay Spa and Neuter Nook targeting Anne Arundel Co. ($35,707.91)
o To provide equipment to expand surgery capabilities of facility used by organizations and citizens throughout the state. The expansion will increase service capacity this year by 3,800 low cost surgeries. Also, as a continuation of the FY15 project, to provide no-cost surgeries to low income pet owners in Glen Bernie, Severn, Brooklyn Park, and Pasadena for 60 pet cats and 60 pet dogs.
· 107 Spay/Neuter Mid-Shore by Talbot Humane & Baywater Animal Rescue targeting Talbot & Dorchester Cos. ($48,355.00)
o Provides no-cost spay/neuter services to low-income pet owners throughout Talbot County and the city of Cambridge in Dorchester County. This project will provide surgeries to 350 pet cats and 250 pet dogs.
· 126 Stop Over-Population and Suffering (SOPA) by Snip/Tuck Inc. targeting Dorchester Co. ($8,046.00)
o Provides surgeries to 450 unowned cats in colonies in Cambridge, Vienna, Toddville, Crepo, Lakes & Straights, Thomas, Hurlock, Secretary, and East Market.
· 128 Sunshine’s Friends Jessup Spay and Neuter Your Pet by Sunshine’s Friends Cat Rescue and Sanctuary targeting Anne Arundel & Howard Cos. ($11,629.48)
o Provides low-income pet owners in Jessup with transportation and no-cost surgeries for 100 pet cats and 50 pet dogs.
· 109 Gaithersburg Free Spay & Neuter Program by the Animal Welfare League of Montgomery County Inc. targeting Montgomery Co. ($10,035.00)
o Provides transportation and no-cost surgeries to low-income residents in Gaithersburg for 70 pet cats and 30 pet dogs.
· 121 Spay It Forward MCPAW by Montgomery County Partners for Animal Wellbeing targeting Montgomery Co. ($19,820.00)
o Provides surgeries to 358 unowned cats in 11 colonies in the county.
· 117 Community Spay Neuter Project by Last Chance Animal Rescue targeting Charles Co. ($37,700.00)
o Targets low-income pet owners in four zip codes in Waldorf and will provide no-cost surgeries to 200 pet cats and 300 pet dogs.
· 103 Free Spay/Neuter at HSCC by the Humane Society of Charles County targeting Charles Co. ($31,097.10)
o A continuation of FY15 project, to provide free services to 190 additional pet cats and an additional 160 pet dogs.
· 118 Keep Cumberland Litter Free by the Allegany County Animal Shelter Management Foundation targeting Allegany Co. ($42,261.05)
o Provides funding for equipment for a much-needed low cost spay/neuter clinic on the shelter property that will serve all of Allegany County. Also provides 200 free surgeries to pet cats and dogs of low income residents in the City of Cumberland.
· 102 Fix Somerset County by the Humane Society of Somerset County targeting Somerset Co. ($25,800.00)
o Provides free spay and neuter to 600 pet cats of low income pet owners in Crisfield, Deal Island, Marion Station, Princess Anne, and Westover.
· 127 Embedded Community Outreach in Baltimore City by Charm City Companions, Inc. targeting Baltimore City ($17,160.00)
o A continuation of their FY15 project to provide free surgeries to 200 pet cats and pet dogs in two zip codes in Northeast Baltimore City.
· 119 Cecil County MD Targeted TNR/Spay Neuter Program by the Chesapeake Feline Association targeting Cecil Co. ($25,103.00)
o Provides surgeries to 400 unowned cats in cat colonies located in two low-income areas in the county: Woodlawn Estates in Port Deposit and Hollingsworth Manor in Elkton.
The MDA says the next round of grant applications is expected to be announced January 2016. For more information about the Program and the projects funded so far, visit the MDA Spay and Neuter Program website <http://www.mda.maryland.gov/spay_neuter_program/Pages/default.aspx>.