Tilghman Island house fire reportedly started by pellet stove ashes

A house fire in Talbot County reportedly started after ashes from a pellet stove weren’t properly handled.

The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office says it all started around 7:40 AM on Monday, when the front porch of the two story wood framed home on Gibsontown Road, went up in flames.

According to the report, 28 firefighters from Tilghman Island, St. Michaels, and Oxford responded to the one alarm blaze, which they had under control in 20 minutes.

Investigators apparently found that the fire started, after ashes from a pellet stove were not disposed of correctly. The fire has been ruled as accidental, with damages estimated at a total of $150,000. No injures were reported from the blaze.

Categories: Local News, Maryland