Chemical incident at hotel pool sends two to the hospital

279562502 5174172992625826 4034230519315406182 N

Image: Facebook

WEST OCEAN CITY, Md. – A chemical incident at a West Ocean City hotel sent two people to the hospital Thursday afternoon.

At around 4:25 p.m., the Ocean City Fire Department was called to the indoor pool at the Francis Scott Key Motel, located at 12806 Ocean Gateway, for a report of two people complaining of difficulty breathing from a possible chemical leak. On arrival, paramedics found a 6-year-old girl and 41-year-old woman, both complaining of severe difficulty breathing. Paramedics immediately requested that both be taken to Johns Hopkins in Baltimore via Maryland State Police helicopter for further treatment.

Further investigation revealed that during routine pool pump maintenance, an accidental release of both muriatic acid and chlorine occurred, causing a toxic gas to be formed and discharged into the pool.

The scene was rendered safe by hazardous materials technicians and the pool was closed temporarily.

Francis Scott Key GM Heather Brunning tells 47 ABC that they had a technician check out the system Thursday evening to ensure it’s safety. Additionally she says the Worcester County Health Department came out Friday morning and deemed it safe. The facility re-opened it’s indoor pool Friday afternoon.

Brunning says guest safety is a top priority and they would never re-opened unless it was safe to do so.

Categories: Local News, Maryland