‘Just because an arrest was made, the case doesn’t stop:’ Findings in 12-year-old cold case lead to arrest

WICOMICO CO., Md – “With this type of case, this is just starting. Just because an arrest was made, the case doesn’t stop.”

A break in a 12-year-old murder case

Maryland State Police arrested Ryan Ellis Monday morning in connection to the murder of Preston Morehouse. Detective Sergeant, Kyle Clark tells us it’s Morehouse’s mother, Cynthia Martinez, who is breathing the biggest sigh of relief after seeing a suspect finally in handcuffs Tuesday morning in court.

“This is the first step in anybody’s grieving process, the victims process of the family, that they can go with an arrest being made. This is the first hurdle I guess you can call it,” said Det. Sgt. Clark.

Martinez Spoke with 47 ABC back in 2011, as she shed tears on camera, reliving that moment.

“I never thought in a million years that anybody would come to me and tell me someone shot my son,” cried Martinez.

The ‘Murder House’

47 ABC visited the home where Morehouse was murdered. Investigators revealing to that it was a shotgun used to take his life. To this day, his blood still stains the floors of the home off Ocean Gateway in Hebron. A home that the current homeowners tells us is now often referred to as the “murder house.”

“People say you bought the house where the kid was murdered,” said Homeowner Bryan Bowman. “Every time you walk into his house, you can’t help but know that,” added, Homeowner Natalie Franklin.

Why Do Detectives Believe Ellis Could Be Responsible?

And while Detective Clark could not confirm for us what made them think Ellis is their guy, they did say they don’t believe he was in his right state of mind during the alleged incident.
Telling us he may have been under the influence at the time.

If a conviction is made, it could be the closest thing to resemble closure, for everyone involved.

“No, she didn’t get a chance to say her last goodbyes because she didn’t know what was going to happen when she received the call early in the morning. She didn’t get a chance to say her last goodbyes,” explained Det. Sgt. Clark.

Ryan Ellis is currently being held at the Wicomico County Detention Center without bond.

Det. Sgt. Clark tells 47ABC, Martinez plans to be at every hearing through the trial.

As a reminder, any suspect is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.



Categories: Crime, Local News, Maryland