Wednesday house fire in Snow Hill caused by child playing with fireworks, fire marshal says

Fireline

SNOW HILL, Md. – Fire officials say a child playing with fireworks caused a house fire Wednesday evening in Snow Hill.

We’re told the fire was reported at around 5:30 p.m. on Purnell Street. Firefighters with Snow Hill, Newark, Girdletree, Stockton, and Pocomoke City Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the scene and were able to control the fire quickly.

Fire marshals determined that the fire began in a second floor bedroom and was caused by a juvenile igniting fireworks inside the home. The home was occupied by two adults and six children under the age of 14. No one was injured in the fire, and there were no working smoke alarms present in the home at the time of the fire.

We’re told this is the second fire in just over a week caused by juveniles playing with fire, and the Worcester County Fire Marshal is urging all parents to discuss fire safety with their children and the dangers of playing with fire.

Categories: Local News, Maryland