Camper fire in Lewes ruled accidental


LEWES, Del. – Fire officials say an electrical malfunction is to blame for an early morning recreational camper fire in Lewes.

The fire was reported shortly before 2:30 a.m. in the 21000 block of Waterview Road. The Rehoboth Beach Volunteer Fire Company arrived on scene to find flames coming from the camper. Mutual fire aid companies assisted at the scene.

Delaware state fire investigators were called to the scene to investigate the fire. The fire was determined to be accidental in nature and was the result of an unknown electrical malfunction that occurred to the electric cord providing electric power to the camper.

The camper was not occupied at the time of the fire. Officials say the fire caused exposure damage to an adjacent occupied house and parked vehicle. Those occupants were able to escape uninjured.

Total fire damage was estimated at $50,000.

Categories: Delaware, Local News, Top Stories