Dover man arrested for fleeing from police three times in three days

DOVER, Del. – Dover Police arrested a Dover man Saturday morning after he reportedly fled from police three times over the course of three days.

The first incident happened shortly after 2 a.m. Thursday, in the downtown Dover area. Officers attempted to stop a Kia Rio that was being driven by 36-year-old Justin Llera for expired tags. Llera fled from officers, committing several traffic violations in the meantime. The vehicle was found in a parking lot in the 800 block of Silver Lake Blvd, but when officers demanded that Llera step out of the vehicle, he fled at a high rate of speed, jumping a curb and leaving the area.

On August 17th at around 2:45 a.m., officers observed Llera’s vehicle in the area of S. State Street at Wyoming Avenue and tried to initiate a traffic stop, but the driver once again fled and committed numerous traffic violations. Officers pursued the vehicle briefly but ended the pursuit in the area of S. DuPont Highway and Webbs Lane due to road conditions and safety concerns for the public as well as the officers.

Later that morning, at around 8:30 a.m., Llera was once again seen in the same vehicle in the area of North New Street and Cecil Street. Llera initially led police on a pursuit but stopped in the area of S. DuPont Highway and Lotus Street, where he jumped out of the vehicle and began fleeing on foot. He was apprehended a short time later and struggled with officers during the arrest, resulting in a hand injury for one officer.

Llera was charged with three counts of disregard police signal, second degree assault (law enforcement victim) resisting arrest with force/violence, two counts of resisting arrest, drug paraphernalia, three counts of reckless driving, 3rd incident DUI, third degree trespassing, and 50 traffic violations from all three incidents combined. He was committed to the Sussex Correctional Institution on $22,200 cash bond.

Categories: Crime, Delaware, Local News