Somerset Sheriff: Man charged, loaded gun found
EDEN, Md. – A Maryland man is facing five charges after police reportedly found a loaded handgun on him, in a gas station parking lot.
The Somerset County Sheriff says deputies were near the One Stop Store, on 31680 Eden Allen Road, on Thursday. Police saw a van parked at the back of the business near the dumpsters and did a welfare check on the driver, Andrew Whaley.
Deputies say while they were talking to Whaley, they noticed him “looking around in a nervous manner”. Police asked for a consent search of the vehicle and Whaley gave them permission. They reportedly found a loaded 1911 model handgun with 7 rounds in the magazine near the driver’s seat in the center floor area.
Police searched the Maryland Gun Center database and confirmed that the 48-year-old was a convicted felon “with a long history” and not supposed to have a firearm. The Somerset County Sheriff says the gun was not listed as stolen on the database.
Whaley is charged with the following:
- Knowingly transporting a handgun in a vehicle
- Possess a firearm after being convicted of a crime under the laws of the us that would be a felony if committed in this state
- Possession of ammunition being prohibited from possessing a regulated firearm
- Knowingly possess a regulated firearm being a person convicted of a disqualifying crime
- Possession of a regulated firearm after being convicted of drug distribution