CDC warns of fecal parasite on the rise in swimming pools
SALISBURY, Md. – While it starts to heat up, you might be tempted to take a dip in the pool. But health officials are warning of a parasite lurking in the waters that could make you sick. It’s a parasite called Cryptosporidium or ‘Crypto’ for short. Health officials say its spread by feces, and the center for disease control is reporting that they’re seeing more and more people come down with it. The parasite can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea that can last for weeks. Now officials are warning swimmers to take caution. They say to lessen your chances of getting crypto, you should always take a shower after swimming, and try not to drink the pool water. And if you have a child that still wears a diaper, make sure they’re clean before putting them in the water.
“There are people that are more susceptible from complications from it. Young children, pregnant women, people that are immunocompromised so if you’re not feeling well you can adversely impact those people so you definitely want to be careful that you’re not spreading it to people,” said Environmental Health Specialist Supervisor for the Wicomico County Health Department, Diane Waller.
The CDC adds that they’ve seen an increase in crypto by nearly 13 percent every year between 2009 and 2017.