Monday Memo – July 31, 2017
TO: ALL STAFF
DATE: 31 July 2017
MONDAY MEMO SCHEDULE
• Due to a couple of personal vacation days that fall on Mondays plus Labor Day, which also falls on Monday, the Monday Memo will be on an every other week basis until the week of 11 September when we will get back on the normal weekly schedule.
AROUND THE STATION
• We are projecting launch of our Eclipse page on the website tomorrow.
• Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, a tower crew will be here to repair the strobe light at the top of our tower in Sharptown at 1:05AM affecting both 32 & 47 signals.
• This Saturday is 1st Saturday in Downtown Salisbury.
• Next week is the White Marlin open. Watch for our coverage of this major market event which serves up a multi-million dollar purse.
• Next Friday, 11 August, Chiara Wimberly and Gina Danza, our ABC affiliate contacts, will be here in the morning with a presentation to our Management and Sales Teams.
GOOD NEWS, RAVENS FANS!
• Our Stations won the bid to carry the Ravens pre-season games live on Delmarva’s CW3 this year. The four-game pre-season schedule is as follows:
o Thursday, 10 August, at 7PM
o Thursday, 17 August, at 6:30PM
o Saturday, 26 August at 6:30PM
o Thursday, 31 August at 7:30PM
We are excited to be bringing these events to our CW3 and will be putting extra promotional consideration for the CW3/Ravens for the entire month of August across all our available platforms. Think purple and tune in to this first for Delmarva!
OUT IN THE COMMUNITY
• On Wednesday, 19 July, members of our Sales and News Teams, along with helpers, braved the 90+ degree temperatures to host our clients at Tawes Crab and Clam Bake in Crisfield, MD. Tawes is a tradition on the Eastern Shore and visitors come from all over Maryland to celebrate good food, good company and the kick off of the political season. Team 47 went down at 8AM to set up and then spent 3+ hours serving food and beverages to our clients. After that, they loaded up all of our leftovers, not getting back until the end of the business day. Julian did a great job of warming up the crowd who enjoyed the opportunity to chat and take selfies with him. (Thanks, Julian, for this selfie with our Team).
• Our News Teams broadcast the news live from the Delaware State Fair from 20-29 July. Per usual on Delmarva, the temps were scorching for the majority of the event, moderating a bit for the last two days when a rainy front moved through. The News, along with Production and Engineering support, delivered an amazing job, providing just about everyone on the News Teams an opportunity to go live from the Fair. The final Tuesday night of the Fair, Sarah Truitt hosted Adam Licker, our CBS syndication rep who brings us “Judge Judy” and “Hot Bench”, and I received a glowing thank you note from him. Thanks, Sarah, for being our “Hostess with the Mostest” for one of our valuable partners in syndication. Photo courtesy of Adam Licker.
KNOW A TALENTED SOMEONE WHO WOULD LIKE TO AUDITION FOR AMERICAN IDOL WITHOUT LEAVING HOME???
• As you have no doubt heard, “American Idol” has been picked up by ABC for a winter 2018 start. On-line auditions are now open through the end of September. Individuals between the ages of 15 and 28 are eligible but, unfortunately, not employees of ABC. If you know of someone who would like to audition, we expect to have a link up on our home page this week or you can find out more about eligibility and other rules by going to www.americanidol.com. On-air promos will start in about a week.
BBB OF MARYLAND ISSUES iPHONE SCAM ALERT
• Unnerving pop-up messages on your iPhone are the latest attempt by hackers to gain access to valuable personal and financial data and/or extort ransom money. As a result, BBB is urging consumers to report any type of on-screen message that attempts to dupe them into believing their iPhone or other device is infected or damaged. “The average person stores information on multiple accounts, credit card details, passwords and more on their mobile devices. If you get scared into downloading malware on your iPhone, you’ll likely be serving up your personal, banking and even location information to scammers on a silver platter,” said Angie Barnett, president and CEO of BBB serving Greater Maryland. To report, you can contact the BBB at 410.347.3990 or visit marylandbbb.org.
LOCAL NEWS SPECIALS ON 47 ABC AND DELMARVA’S CW3 THIS WEEK
• All this week on Political Insider, Ryan Eldredge will be chatting with Gov. Carney about the State of Delaware.
• Members of our Sports Team will be reporting from the Ravens camp.
Leftovers are good…..especially when they are from Tawes!
This year we have seventeen (17) 2017 logo’d beverage glasses, with accompanying wooden crab mallets and plastic knives left over. We also have a dozen (12) beverage glasses without the accompanying tools. Tamara will post sign-up sheet(s) by the time clock at the Employee entrance later today. The drawings will be Friday morning, 8/4, and the winners announced in the next Monday Memo (8/14).
Update: We have four terrific seats plus a parking pass for each of the games listed below. If you have family, friends or just a special event coming up later in the summer, check with Tamara Horn to see if there is a home game that night. As always, if you are interested in any of these games, give her a call at x 396.
o Monday, 7 August 7:05PM game time
o Tuesday, 8 August 7:05PM game time
o Thursday, 10 August 7:05PM game time
o Sunday, 13 August 5:05PM game time
o Tuesday, 22 August 7:05 PM game time
o Wednesday, 23 August 7:05PM game time
o Thursday, 24 August 7:05PM game time
o Sunday, 27 August 5:05PM game time
• Live performances:
We have received four tickets for this show at the Freeman Stage at Bayside in Selbyville. The event is actually free, but you have to have a ticket to ensure admission:
o Saturday, August 5th at 10AM = Creating Whimsical Masterpieces with John Donato
The parameters are as follows
• It is BYOC (Bring Your Own Chair)
• You must have your ticket with you
• Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult
• It is an outdoor venue, so weather will be a consideration
• For more information, go to facebook.com/freemanstage or call 302.436.3015
To request your tickets, see Tamara Horn or call her at X 396. Offer good while supplies last!
COMINGS & GOINGS
• Alexis Gramates, currently a Studio Intern, starts as part time Studio Tech tomorrow.
CONGRATULATIONS TO INDIVIDUALS CELEBRATING ANNIVERSARIES WITH OUR STATIONS:
• Dani Bozzini = one year on 7/25
• Lissette Nunez = 2 years on 7/27
• Michael Lawrence = 17 years on 7/28
• Don Gaul = 15 years on 8/1
• Shawn Tedder = 2 years on 8/11
• Shane Johnson = 4 years on 8/12
• Will Hartman = 4 years on 8/13
I thank all of you for your many contributions to the success of our Stations.
SPECIALS ON 47 ABC THIS WEEK AND NEXT INCLUDE
• Tonight at 8 is a 2-hour special, “The Bachelorette: The Men Tell All”
• Tuesday at 10PM = “Somewhere Between”
• Saturday at 8PM = 2-hour special, ”The Wonderful World of Disney: Big Hero 6”
• Monday, 8/7 at 8PM = 2-hour season finale of “The Bachelorette”
• Monday, 8/7 at 10PM = “The Bachelorette: After the Final Rose”
• Wednesday, 8/9 at 9PM = a 2-hour special “The Story of Diana: Part One”
• Thursday, 8/10 at 9PM = a 2-hour special “The Story of Diana: Part Two”
THERE IS ONE SPECIAL ON DELMARVA’S CW3 NEXT WEEK
• Next Thursday, 8/10 at 7PM, will be the first of four pre-season Ravens games. Coverage begins with the half hour pre-game show, followed by the game: Washington Redskins @ Baltimore Ravens. Enjoy!
BIG DEALS THIS WEEK INCLUDE
• Monday = 911 Airsoft in Greenwood, DE ($60 voucher for $30)
• Wednesday = Ky West in Ocean City, MD ($20 voucher for $10)
• Friday = Sub Runners in Salisbury ($20 voucher for $10)
• American Adventures Month
• Black Business Month
ALL NEXT WEEK IS
• National Exercise with your Child Week
• National Health Center Week
• National Bargain Hunters Week (and)
• Assistance Dog Week
SPECIAL DAYS THIS WEEK AND NEXT INCLUDE
• Today is Raspberry Cake Day
• Tomorrow is National Night Out (and) Respect for Parents Day
• Wednesday is Ice Cream Sandwich Day
• Thursday is Watermelon Day
• Friday is Coast Guard Day (and) Single Working Women’s Day
• Saturday is National Mustard Day
• Next Monday is National Light House Day
• Next Tuesday is Happiness Happens Day
• Next Wednesday is Book Lovers Day
• Next Thursday is National S’Mores Day (there is a local celebration at the Girl Scout office in the East Park Professional Center that is open to girls from Kindergarten to 12th grade from 4-7PM that day)
• Next Friday is Presidential Joke Day (puh-leeze, no!)
• Next Saturday is Vinyl Record Day
• And Next Sunday is International Left Handers Day
WE CURRENTLY HAVE FOUR IMMEDIATE OPENINGS:
• MCO (part time/ fill in; potential for full time): see Ken Evans
• Digital Web Programmer (full time): See Greg LaFrance
• News Editor/Studio Tech (part time): See Matt Sigler
• News Editor/Studio Tech (full time): See Sarah Truitt
In-house candidates are encouraged to contact the respective Supervisor at their earliest convenience. If you know of someone who has the necessary qualifications and would be a good addition to our Team, please share the information about these openings with them. Brief job descriptions are posted on both bulletin boards and applications and more information can be found on our website. Marquee Broadcasting, Inc., along with its holdings, is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Make it a great week!