Man who allegedly set woman, and home, on fire has died

Officials from the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department have released details on an incident involving a man and a woman who sustained critical burn injuries inside of a Kettering home after a set fire allegedly happened during a domestic argument.

According to the report, on Tuesday around 9:45PM, a woman came out of her home on Herrington Drive to get help from a group of poll workers at Kettering Middle School. The woman, described as being in her 60s, apparently had 3rd degree burn injuries on the upper half of her body, and she was asking for help. Officials say that some poll workers began to assist the woman, while another called 911 to report that smoke was coming from a house across the street.

Additional 911 information in the report noted that a man had left and then re-entered the burning house. When firefighters arrived, the man, described to be 64 years-of-age, had reportedly left the home for a second time, and was found outside with burn and smoke inhalation injuries.

Officials say that medics treated and transported both patients to area hospitals for their injuries, and both were listed in critical condition as of Tuesday night. A Prince George’s County Fire Captain also sustained burn injuries dealing with the fire, and he was taken to Medstar Washington Hospital Center Burn Unit where he was treated and released later the same day.

According to the report, 2 dogs escaped the burning house on their own, were later found, and then placed into the care of County Animal Control. Two other residents of the home, a woman and an infant, were not reported to have been home at home when the fire occurred. They are currently listed to be displaced, but are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Officials from the Fire/EMS Departments Office of the Fire Marshal arrived at the home and began their cause and origin investigation. It was quickly reported that the injured woman was doused with an ignitable liquid and set on fire by the man during an argument they were having in the basement of the house. This incendiary act  then apparently set combustibles on fire in the basement. The fire was quickly extinguished by firefighters, and the loss in the report is estimated at $100,000.

Fire Investigators reported that the blaze was intentionally set, and they were joined by the County Police Homicide and Domestic Violence Units in investigating. Several charges against the man were developed and a warrant was obtained as the result of a joint fire and police investigation.

The suspect, Louis Ferrard Fedee, was described by officials as being a long-time acquaintance of the injured woman who owned the home. Fedee was still hospitalized when he succumbed to his injuries late on Wednesday morning, meaning that he died prior to being arrested.  

The warrant included the following charges:

  • Attempted 1st degree murder
  • Attempted 2nd degree murder
  • Assault 1st degree
  • Assault 2nd degree
  • Arson 1st degree
  • Arson 2nd degree
  • Malicious burning 1st degree
  • Reckless endangerment
  • Malicious destruction of property over $1000.00
  • Animal cruelty

The woman in this incident is still in critical condition, according to officials.

Categories: Crime, Local News, Maryland