Free flu vaccine clinics being offered in Delaware
Beebe Healthcare offering free flu clinics starting in September.
Flu viruses are ever changing so yearly vaccinations are encouraged. Annually, scientists reportedly attempt at matching the viruses in the vaccine to those who are probable to cause influenza that year. Vaccinations will be offered to adults 18 and over only at the clinics. Parents should call their child’s doctor or the Division of Public Health for information about child vaccinations.
The director of Population Health says Beebe will host a free flu clinic at the the Medical Center on Savannah Road in Lewes every Monday from 9 AM to 1 PM, September 19 through November 17. Beebe also will be at certain free health screenings at Sussex County events to assist the community.
The CDC encourages these people to consider getting the flu vaccination:
- People 50 to 64 years old. Almost 33% of people between the ages of 50-64 in the U.S have the possibility of being at risk for serious flu complications.
- People who can pass the flu are at high risk for complications.
- Any person in close contact with someone in a high-risk group should get vaccinated. This includes all health-care workers, household contacts and out-of-home caregivers of young children up to 23 months of age, and close contacts of people 65 years and older.
According to the CDC, people at high risk for complications from influenza include:
- People 65 years and older.
- People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities that house those with long-term illnesses.
- Adults and children six months and older with chronic heart or lung conditions, including asthma.
- Adults and children six months and older who needed regular medical care or were in a hospital during the previous year because of a metabolic disease (like diabetes), chronic kidney disease, or weakened immune system (including immune system problems caused by medicines or by infection with human immunodeficiency virus [HIV/AIDS]).
- Children six months to 18 years of age who are on long-term aspirin therapy. (Children given aspirin while they have influenza are at risk of Reye’s syndrome.)
- Women who are pregnant during influenza season.
- All children 6 to 23 months of age.
- People with any condition that can compromise respiratory function or the handling of respiratory secretions (that is, a condition that makes it hard to breathe or swallow, such as brain injury or disease, spinal cord injuries, seizure disorders, or other nerve or muscle disorders).
If you get the flu, officials say rest, drinking fluids, avoiding use of alcohol and tobacco, and taking medication are important. Aspirin should reportedly be off limits to children or teenagers who have flu-like symptoms, especially fever, without asking a doctor, and in some cases, doctors may prescribe certain antiviral drugs to treat the flu. Officials also say antibiotics do not cure the flu, which is caused by a virus.
Beebe Healthcare officials say more flu vaccination clinics are set for:
- September 26, 4 PM. – 7 PM, at Ocean View VFW, Mason Dixon Post 7234, 29265 Marshy Hope Way in Ocean View
- October 4, 2 PM – 5 PM, at Beebe Lab Express, Millville, 32550 Doc’s Place (Creekside Plaza, Route 26) in Millville
- October 5, 12 PM – 6 PM., at CAMP Rehoboth, 37 Baltimore Avenue in Rehoboth
- October 6, 8 AM. – 2 PM, at Sussex County YMCA, 20080 Church Street in Rehoboth
- October 8, 9 AM. – 2 PM., at Rabbit’s Ferry Community Center, Robinsonville Road (7 Shady Nook Road) in Lewes
- October 9, 8:30 AM. – 2 PM, at Lewes Presbyterian Church, 133 King’s Highway in Lewes
- October 11, 2 PM – 5 PM, at Beebe Lab Express, Georgetown, 21635 Biden Ave. (across from Del Tech on Route 18/404)
- October 13, 2 PM. – 5 PM., at Beebe Lab Express, Millsboro, 28538 duPont Blvd. (Route 113)
- October 14, 8 AM. – 10 AM., at Rehoboth Police Department Rehoboth Convention Center
- October 18, Noon – 3 PM., at Beebe Lab Express, Milton, Clipper Square Shopping Center, 614 Mulberry St.
- October 22, Noon – 3 PM, at Beebe Health Campus, Outpatient Center, John J. Williams Hwy (Rt. 24), Rehoboth
- October 26, 2 PM. – 6 PM at Crossroad Community Church, 20684 State Forest Road, Georgetown
- November 12, 10 AM. – 2 PM., at St. Jude’s Catholic Church (Five Points/Nassau), 152 Tulip Drive, Lewes
- November 20, 11 AM. – 3 PM at Bethel AME Church, Milton, Mulberry Street, Milton