Chicken house fire in Sharptown, ruled accidental

An early Wednesday morning chicken house fire in Sharptown, has been ruled accidental.

The Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office says it all started just before 4:40 AM inside of a 16′ x 100′ wood framed poultry house at the intersection of Route 313 and State Street Extended. Twenty-five firefighters from Sharptown, Eldorado/Brookview, Mardela, and Laurel, Delaware responded to the scene, after a passerby discovered it, and reportedly had the flames under control in an hour.

Officials say four farm animals perished in the fire, and but no other injuries were reported. Damages are estimated at $40,000. The Fire Marshal says the fire was accidental, and was caused by a heat lamp lighting up combustibles.

Categories: Local News, Maryland