Del. Rep. Kenton not seeking re-election in 2018

DELAWARE - A local lawmaker has announced that he will not seek re-election to Delaware's House of Representative in 2018.

Officials with the Delaware House of Representatives say on Friday, Delaware Representative Harvey Kenton (R-Milford) announced that he will not seek re-election when his current term expires in November. Kenton was first elected in 2010 replacing V. George Carey in the 36th Representative District. Since then, Kenton apparently served four consecutive two-years terms in the lower chamber.

Delaware officials say for the last six years,  Rep. Kenton was a member of the Joint Finance Committee which is responsible for crafting the state's annual multi-billion dollar operating budget.

Rep. Kenton says, "I have sponsored and co-sponsored many dozens of pieces of legislation that I think have improved the lives of my constituents and all Delawareans. It has been a true honor to serve the people of my district and I have been humbled by the faith they have repeatedly shown in me.  I have always thought of myself as an average person who has had an extraordinary opportunity to serve the public.  I have no regrets about how the last eight years have unfolded and I feel blessed to have had this wonderful experience."

In regards to his announcement, Rep. Kenton says, "I will be 77-years-old by the time Election Day rolls around. After discussing it with my wife and colleagues, I've decided that it is time for me to pursue other interests."

More Stories in the News