Beebe postpones all non-emergent surgeries due to COVID-19 surge
LEWES, Del. – Beebe Healthcare has announced it will postpone all non-emergent procedures starting Thursday, January 13th.
These measures are being taken so that staff and beds can be reassigned for inpatient care. We’re told this is directly related to the continued surge in COVID-19 positive patients that require hospitalization and care. Previously, Beebe only postponed elective procedures that required an overnight stay.
With this latest surge in COVID-19 hospitalizations, Beebe is facing significant pressures on staff, care teams, and providers.
Certain procedures and surgeries will continue, including those that screen for progressive diseases such as cancer that could have longer term consequences if not identified for patients. These include colonoscopies, biopsies, and endoscopies, as well as access to dialysis.
Patients will be contacted by their surgeon’s office, and Beebe’s multidisciplinary team will continue to evaluate cases daily for the health of all patients.
Beebe says it is not yet at the stage where it is forced to adopt Crisis Standards of Care, however, the situation is critical and can change at any moment. They say the Omicron variant tends to present milder symptoms to those who are vaccinated and receive a booster, but this is not what Beebe is seeing in the hospital for those who are unvaccinated.