Fire pit accident sends Mardela man to hospital

MARDELA SPRINGS, Md. – Maryland Fire Marshals say a man was injured Thursday evening after an accident while lighting a fire pit.

We’re told the incident took place just after 7:30 p.m., at 9875 Wallertown Road in Mardela Springs. Officials say the man, identified as Carlos Ortiz, added ignitable liquid to a fire pit in the backyard of the residence to ignite the contents, but when he placed the container on the ground, the content vented onto him.

Ortiz was flown to Bayview Burn Center for further treatment of his injuries. No other damage or injuries were reported.

Categories: Local News, Maryland