Wanted Dover man arrested in connection to shooting in Smyrna
SMYRNA, Del. — Smyrna Police say they’ve made an arrest in connection with a shooting that left a woman paralyzed.
Police say 37-year-old, Gary Lewis of Dover, was arrested Wednesday, after detectives were able to identify him as the shooter in an apparent single car crash on July 14th.
We’re told police responded to a crash in the area of Locust Street and East Commerce Street at around 5:30 p.m. Further investigation revealed that the woman driving the car crashed due to her being shot in the neck. Police say the victim, a woman in her 20s, suffered serious injury from the shooting and remains paralyzed.
Smyrna Police, along with the help from the US Marshals Task Force, and the Dover Police Department’s Drugs, Vice and Organized Crime Unit found Lewis at a family members home in the 300 block of Blue Coat Street in Dover. He was taken into custody and charged with a number of charges listed below:
- Assault First Degree-Intentional Serious Injury-Weapon Dangerous Instrument
- Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony
- Possession or Control of Firearm By Person Prohibited Causes Injury or Death
- Reckless Endanger First Degree Creates a Substantial Risk of Death to Another
- Criminal Mischief $5000 or More Damage Property
Lewis was additionally charged for new gun and drug charges by Dover Police. He is currently being held at Sussex Correctional Institution on a $66,000 cash only bond, pending a future court hearing.