Chlorine exposure at Salisbury water plant sends employee to hospital


SALISBURY, Md. — A chemical spill at a Salisbury water treatment plant today landed one person in the hospital on Thursday.

Officials say a water operator at the city of Salisbury’s Paleo Water Treatment Plant came across a gaseous chlorine leak during his shift. It’s important to note that this kind of leak can cause acute damage to the upper and lower respiratory tract.

We’re told the employee immediately notified the Water Treatment Plant Assistant Superintendent, who then contacted the Salisbury fire department. The employee who was exposed to the chlorine was sent to Tidal Health Peninsula Regional, where he received oxygen. He has has since been released in stable condition.

The Salisbury Fire Department, in conjunction with the Delmar Fire Department, responded swiftly and contained the chlorine leak completely and safely. Two members of a hazmat response team were able to cap off the 150-pound cylinder of gaseous chlorine with a leak containment kit. The cylinder, now safely secured, will be transported back to the chlorine distributor. There were no injuries to humans or the environment and no damage to any property or equipment as a result of this incident.

The water treatment plant has been cleared to return to normal operations.




Categories: Local News, Maryland