Easton promenade axed following unanimous council vote
EASTON, Md. – A plan that was already in the works to create a promenade in downtown Easton has been shut down. On Wednesday, the town’s council held an emergency meeting where they voted unanimously to axe the Washington Street promenade that was supposed to launch Thursday. According to Councilman Don Abbatiello, although the organization Discover Easton had already gotten approval weeks before for the promenade, some concerns were brought to the council’s attention. Abbatiello says once the street was closed down for preparation of the promenade, issues including traffic and parking arose. And now many businesses are left wondering how to find ways to draw customers downtown in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.
“People really wanted this to happen and they’re frustrated at what they perceived the reasons for it not happening and I think that we need to figure out a way to bring our locals and visitors into town as well to support our small businesses,” said Discover Easton Executive Director, Ross Benincasa.
Councilman Abbatiello also tells 47 ABC that although the council voted to not move forward with the promenade, it does not mean that the town will never be able to have one. He says there just needs to be a little more preparation and planning before they decide to try it again.