Man leads police on high speed chase with five children and firearm in truck
ELLENDALE, Del. — In Delaware a man is now behind bars after he led police on a high speed chase with five children and gun in his truck.
Authorities say around 11:45 Monday morning, troopers saw 26-year-old, Qwantay Taylor, run a stop sign and double solid line on East Robbins Road and South Old State Road in Ellendale.
Troopers say they tried to stop the 26-year-old, but instead he took off, leading them on chase before eventually stopping.
After he stopped it was found that Taylor had five children ranging in ages 2 to 15 also in the truck, as well as a handgun he was not permitted to have.
Taylor was transported back to Troop 7 where he was charged with the following:
- Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony
- Possession of a Firearm or Ammunition by a Person Prohibited Prior Violent Crime or Felony
- Carrying a Concealed Deadly Weapon A Firearm
- Disregarding a Police Officer Signal
- 5 Counts of Endangering the Welfare of a Child
- Child Under 8 and weighs less than 65 lbs. or Child 8 to 15 or more than 65 lbs. must be in Child Restraint
- Failure to Obey a Traffic Device
- Following a Motor Vehicle Too Closely
- Driving Vehicle at Unreasonable or Imprudent Speed
Taylor was arraigned before the Justice of the Peace Court and committed to the Sussex Correctional Institute on an $87,004. secured bond.