Salisbury Rehab and Nursing Center confirms first COVID-19 case
SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, also known as Genesis Healthcare, has confirmed reports to 47ABC that a patient there has tested positive for COVID-19.
The Center says they are currently enforcing isolation and treatment for the patient at this time.
We are told staff members at Genesis facilities are working around the clock to keep their patients and residents healthy and as safe as possible.
In a statement, a spokesperson for Genesis said, “We believe it’s better to overreact than under-react in the face of a pandemic. We have been extremely stringent on visitation restrictions, use of personal protective equipment and many other precautions at our facilities. We’ve followed guidelines and protocols set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), in some cases getting out in front of them.”
The spokesperson said they have been taking the following steps:
- Screening residents and patients for symptoms three times daily.
- Actively screening and taking temperatures of all staff upon building entry.
- Requiring all staff to wear personal protective equipment.
- Visitation restrictions, except for exceptional circumstances, such as end-of-life situations.
- Cancellation of all outside medical appointments except for medically necessary, time-sensitive and life-saving treatments, such as dialysis and chemotherapy.
- To make things easier for families, Genesis has implemented the ability for families and loved ones to perform video conferencing calls using Zoom technology.
- For any centers where positive cases arise, Genesis notifies patients, residents and families immediately, and updates them daily via video conference calls.
No further information is available about the patient who tested positive at this time.