Monday Memo – October 30, 2017
TO: ALL STAFF
DATE: 30 OCTOBER 2017
WE NEED YOUR HELP EVALUATING A SOFTWARE CHANGE
• On Friday, Digital Broadcast updated the video socket software on the primary server in an effort to resolve the commercial clipping issue. If you notice any clipped commercials, notify Master Control about it. They will need the advertiser name, time, date and station (this only applies to ABC and CW) to locate it. In advance, thanks for your assistance in working with Master Control to bring this clipping issue to resolution….and improve our on-air appearance!
WE’RE GETTING NEW NEIGHBORS TODAY
• Today is the official move-in day for the Daily Times as they physically relocate to the old firehouse, most recently Headquarters Live, across the parking lot from us.
CONGRATULATIONS to Michelle Mackonochie, winner of the pair of Dunkin Donuts mugs in last week’s drawing.
This week we will have another pair of Dunkin Donuts coffee mugs. Same deal. Two mugs one winner. You can sign up for your chance to win on the bulletin board across from the time clock at the employee entrance. Per usual procedure, we will draw for a winner Friday morning and it will be announced in the next Monday Memo.
NOVEMBER RATINGS PERIOD
• The November ratings period, generally referred to as “Sweeps”, will continue through the Wednesday before Thanksgiving for a total of four weeks. As always, I thank you for the good work that you do and encourage you to be especially vigilant during this period. If there is something that you believe would improve the products we take to the public (digital or broadcast), shoot me a note. I’ll be glad to check out any suggestions for improvement. Tips for news stories should go to Sarah Truitt.
ANNIVERSARIES OF NOTE:
• Victoria Leibensperger will be with us two years on Friday (and)
• Leanne Guyette will be with us 7 years on Saturday
THE NEWS TEAM PARTICIPATES IN NATIONAL UNITY DAY
• On Wednesday, members of the News Team wore orange in support of Unity Day. Unity Day is a campaign created by PACER to show you care about safe and supportive schools. It is the day everyone can come together – in schools, communities and online – to send one large message of support, hope and unity to show that we are all united against bullying and united for kindness, acceptance and inclusion.
• Not to be outdone, the weekday News Hour anchors, in addition to their orange ties, donned orange t-shirts at the end of the newscast to show their support as well.
SAVE THE DATE!
• Our 4th quarter 2017 Full Staff Meeting will be hosted by the News Department in the Studio NEXT Monday at 2:30. Plan to be there to enjoy some pizza and get to know employees you may not have met.
UPCOMING STATION EVENTS
• Saturday is food collection day for the WMDT/Mountaire “Thanksgiving for Thousands”. There are two signup sheets: one on the upstairs bulletin board and one downstairs across from the time clock. We could still use additional volunteers, if you can spare a couple hours this Saturday.
• November 6 is kick off day for our Winter Coat Drive. The drive will continue through December 3. This event is done in partnership with the Peninsula Dry Cleaners and McCready Hospital. Drop off points are will be in the next Monday Memo and posted on the bulletin board for your convenience. All washed and dry cleaned coats will be given to organizations with the stipulation that they will provide the coats to those in need at no charge.
• November 18 is SWAC’s “Crystal Gala” at Holloway Hall (we are Media Partner)
• November 28 is “Giving Tuesday”, done in partnership with CFES
• December 3 is the Salisbury Parade. We will have a vehicle in it and Julian Sadur will be one of the judges.
• December 9 is “Operation Cookie Drop-Off” (more about that closer to the date)
• December 14 is our Bell Ringing Day for Salvation Army. We still have a few open time periods so, if you can find the time, please consider signing up.
OUT IN THE COMMUNITY:
• Wednesday evening, Phil, Teri, John, Greg and I will attend a Volunteer Recognition event at the Delmarva Discovery Center in Pocomoke. The Discovery Center was selected as one of our two Media Partners for this calendar year.
• Friday at noon, I will represent us at the CFES Annual Meeting at the Fountains
ABC HAS ONE SPECIAL PLUS TWO HALLOWEEN THEMED PROGRAMMING THIS WEEK
• Tonight at 8 = a “Spooktacular Night” on “Dancing with the Stars”
• Tuesday at 1PM = “The Chew’s Halloween Bash”
• Sunday 9-11 = double Shark Tank (both original episodes)
LOCALLY PRODUCED PROGRAMMING ON 47 ABC FOR THIS WEEK
• No 6PM Newscast on Saturday
• The late newscast will air at approximately 11:30
“BIG DEALS” THIS WEEK INCLUDE
• Monday = Jules Restaurant in Ocean City ($20 voucher for $10)
• Tuesday = Reggae Soul in Salisbury ($20 voucher for $10)
• Wednesday = Crabcake Factory in OC & Fenwick ($20 voucher for $10)
• Thursday = 1 Fish 2 Fish in Salisbury ($50 voucher for $25)
• Friday = Nutters Crossing Golf in Salisbury ($50 voucher for $25)
• American Diabetes Month
• Aviation History Month
• Lung Cancer Awareness Month
SPECIAL DAYS THIS WEEK INCLUDE
• Monday = National Candy Corn Day
• Tuesday = Halloween (be especially vigilant from dusk to 9PM if you are driving)
• Wednesday = “Author’s Day”
• Thursday = “National Men Make Dinner Day”
• Saturday = Sadie Hawkins Day
• Sunday = Daylight Savings Time ends (your chance to sleep in another hour)
WE CURRENTLY HAVE TWO IMMEDIATE OPENINGS:
• MCO (part time/ fill in; potential for full time): see Ken Evans
• Media Specialist (full time): see Phil Bankert
In-house candidates are encouraged to contact the respective Supervisor at their earliest convenience. If you know of someone who has the necessary qualifications and would be a good addition to our Team, please share the information about these openings with them. Brief job descriptions are posted on both bulletin boards and applications and more information can be found on our website. Marquee Broadcasting, Inc., along with its holdings, is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Make it a great week!