Monday Memo – Februrary 27, 2017
TO: ALL STAFF
DATE: 27 FEBRUARY 2017
OUT IN THE COMMUNITY
• Ken Evans and I set up our table for the UMES Job Fair last Thursday morning and Ken manned the booth until 2PM when Phil/Teri relieved him. It was successful in that Ken did meet with folks who were interested in news internships and others possibly seeking part time employment (we currently have 4 part time openings). There were also several possible web candidates. We collected only a few resumes as most folks were referred to our website to apply or get further information. Ken did a good job sharing information about our 5 new WGDV stations. Teri Monahan and Phil Bankert took the 2-3PM shift. There was a total of 63 businesses exhibiting.
• The station received a certificate of appreciation for our support of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and from the American Cancer Society for our support of their Holiday Wrappings project which raised over $40,000.
• On Friday, four separate groups of students from Pemberton Elementary were hosted by Chief Meteorologist Daniel Johnson and News Director Sarah Truitt. The students received a tour of the station and had an opportunity to “chat weather” with Daniel Johnson and learn about the news business and jobs in television. Students were educated on how to do the weather on the green screen, asked a ton of questions and met several members of the 47 ABC News Team.
• Tuesday afternoon, Rick Humphrey, GM of WGTA, and Greg Patten, Media Specialist for that station, will be coming into town. Our Sales Team will be training them on OSI on Wednesday and sales Thursday and Friday. Rick will be here through COB Wednesday and Greg will stay through the end of the week. WGTA, Atlanta, GA, is owned by the Lanes and their lineup includes Heroes & Icons, Decades and Movies! and MeTV.
FEBRUARY SWEEPS REMINDER
• Today and tomorrow will wrap up the February Sweeps period. For new employees, this is your reminder that Station “employee(s), or any member of their household(s), may not participate in providing viewership information to Nielsen because of the possibility of conscious or unconscious bias in the reporting of their media behavior”. We take this mandate very seriously and, should you receive any viewership reporting forms, you need to return them to Nielsen with a note explaining that, as a broadcaster, you cannot participate in their survey. In advance, thanks for your attention to this requirement.
AROUND THE STATION
• The official switchover to Brandnet will take place after the book ends on Tuesday
• Master Control was in the Station this past Saturday for training
• Clean up and upgrades of Studio Control is coming along nicely
• Additional racks are being installed in Master Control so that when the equipment for WGTA arrives we have a place to slot it right in
ANNIVERSARY OF NOTE:
• Austin Johnson will be with us one year on Wednesday. Thanks, Austin, we appreciate your contributions.
COMINGS AND GOINGS
• Travis Michels and Elaine Haggerty will finish up on Tuesday.
• Dorionne Brown, Media Specialist, will start with the Sales Department on Wednesday.
SPECIALS THIS WEEK ON 47 ABC INCLUDE
• “When We Rise” = 9 – 11 PM Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. This ABC special mini-series is a chronicled re-telling the gay rights movement in the United States, beginning with the Stonewall riots in 1969.
• Tuesday at 9 – 11PM = ABC Special Report: President Donald Trump’s Address to Congress and the Democratic response
• Thursday at 8 = “When We Rise: The People Behind the Story”
• Sunday at 8 = season premiere of “Once Upon a Time”
• Sunday 9 – 11 = season premiere of “Time After Time”
• The winner of last week’s Station Freebie (the box set of “Criminal Minds”) was Shamara Smith. This week’s Station Freebie is a pair of McCafe travel mugs. We have two mugs, so we will have two winners. You can sign up for your chance to win on the bulletin board at the employee entrance. Per usual procedure, we will draw for a winner Friday morning and the announcement made in the next Monday Memo. NOTE: we are now out of items for Station Freebies and will hiatus the project for the time being.
BIG DEALS THIS WEEK INCLUDE:
• Monday = Reggae Soul in Salisbury ($20 voucher for $10)
• Wednesday = Jules (Restaurant) in OC ($20 voucher for $10)
• Friday = The Country Café in Salisbury ($20 voucher for $10)
• American Red Cross Month
• Music in Our Schools Month
• Poison Prevention Awareness Month
SPECIAL DAYS THIS WEEK INCLUDE:
• Today is “International Polar Bear Day”
• Tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday
• Wednesday is Ash Wednesday
• Thursday is NEA’s “Read Across America Day”
• Friday is “Dress in Blue Day”
WE CURRENTLY HAVE SIX IMMEDIATE OPENINGS:
• MCO (part time/ fill in): see Ken Evans
• Account Executive (full time): See Teri Monahan
• Sports Photographer (part time): See Sarah Truitt
• Sports Reporter (part time): See Sarah Truitt
• News Editor/Studio Technician (part time): See Josh Lynch
• News Producer (full time): See Sarah Truitt
In-house candidates are encouraged to contact the respective Supervisor at their earliest convenience. If you know of someone who has the necessary qualifications and would be a good addition to our Team, please share the information about these openings with them. Brief job descriptions are posted on both bulletin boards and applications and more information can be found on our website. Marquee Broadcasting, Inc., along with its holdings, is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Make it a great week!