UPDATE: Five hospitalized following Millsboro crash

Members of the Delaware State Police say they are investigating a serious motor vehicle crash that injured five people Wednesday afternoon.

Troopers say the incident happened around 3:00 P.M. at the intersection of Avenue of Honor and Route 113.

According to police, a 17-year-old driver of a Dodge Stratus stopped for a stop sign, attempting to cross Route 113, when the Stratus began to enter the northbound lanes of 113, colliding with a Subaru Outback.

Troopers say the Outback struck the Stratus on the driver’s side.

According to State Police, the driver of the Stratus, who was properly restrained, was extricated from the vehicle and then transported by ambulance to Beebe Healthcare. 

Troopers say the driver was later airlifted to Christiana Medical Center, and is currently admitted in critical condition as of about 9:30 P.M. Wednesday.

Troopers also say a 15-year-old passenger in the Stratus, who was not properly restrained, was initially being transported by Delaware State Police Aviation to Christiana Medical Center, before being diverted to Bayhealth Kent General Hospital due to the seriousness of the teen’s medical condition.  Troopers say that passenger is also currently listed in critical condition.

Another 15-year-old passenger in the Stratus was not properly restrained, and was seated in the back of the car. Troopers say that patient was transported by EMS to Beebe Healthcare, and was treated and released with non-life-threatening injuries.

As for the Outback, Troopers say the 80-year-old man and his 75-year-old wife were properly restrained and were transported by EMS to Beebe Healthcare where he was admitted with undetermined injuries and she was treated and released with non-life-threatening injuries.

According to State Police, Delaware State Police Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing their investigation into this incident, and no charges have been filed at this time. 

Troopers say the Route 113 southbound lanes in the area of the collision were closed for approximately three hours while the crash was investigated and cleared.

Categories: Delaware, Local News