Cooking fire in Dover injures one

A Dover woman is recovered, after oil left on her stove ignited, and damaged her home.

The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office says the fire started just before 3:00 PM, at a home on State Circle in Capitol Park. The Dover Fire Department responded, and  reportedly put out the flames that were coming from the kitchen.

Officials say a 50-year-old woman was rushed from the scene to Bayhealth – Kent General Hospital with burns to her left shoulder and left foot. She is currently listed in good condition. State fire investigators responded to the scene, and determined that the fire started on the stove top, when unattended cooking oil lit up.

The home was reportedly equipped with smoke alarms, that alerted the home’s occupants to the fire. Damages are estimated at $5,000.

Categories: Delaware, Local News