Tips on how you can stay cool during the summer
With summer quickly approaching, its important for you to know how to stay cool during extreme heat.
In an effort to keep locals safe, the Wicomico County Health Department is sharing the following tips:
- If you live alone- check in with family and friends, to reassure them that you are okay.
- If you do not have air conditioning, visit places with air conditioning i.e. cooling center, mall, movie theater etc.
- Make sure to drink plenty of water. Avoid drinks with alcohol, caffeine or added sugar.
- Eat fruits with high water content i.e. watermelon, pineapple, grapes,strawberries, peaches, apples and pears.
- Do not stay outdoors for an extended period of time, if the temperature is 85 degrees or higher.
- Limit use of stoves and ovens.
- Avoid spicy foods.
- Make sure to wear loose clothing. Wear light colors.
- Take cool baths and showers to lower your body's temperature.
Warning signs for heat illness include: body temperature of 103 degrees, dry and red skin with no sweating, rapid pulse, headache, dizziness, confusion, and nausea. If you or anyone you know has these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
For more information click here.