Monday Memo – June 5, 2017
TO: ALL STAFF
DATE: 5 JUNE 2017
CONGRATULATIONS ARE IN ORDER!
The Team at 47 ABC cleaned up at the AP Awards Banquet Saturday night, bringing home 7 awards. This is the most of any Station on Delmarva. Way to go! Winners are
o Outstanding Public Affairs for “Tiny Tick: Big Controversy” (Emily Lampa, Mike Lawrence, Josh Lynch and Nick Waligorski)
o Outstanding Specialty Reporting for “Weather Wise” (Travis Michels and Darryl Baxter)
o Best Meteorologist or Weathercaster (Daniel Johnson)
o Outstanding Website for 47abc.com (Digital and News Teams)
o Outstanding Documentary/In-depth Reporting for “Waiting for Justice: Trial Delays” (Emily Lampa and Mike Lawrence)
o Outstanding Sports Feature for “From Pocomoke to the NBA” (Julian Sadur)
o Video Journalist/One Man Band Reporter for “Last Lynching Anniversary” (Justina Coronel)
AND MORE CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR WINNING PRODUCTION TEAM!
Our Production Team bagged 4 Bronze Telly Awards as follows:
o “Be a Mentor”: Director/Writer John Ebert; Editor Jaime Roberts; Talent Will Hartman
o “Downtown Salisbury – It’s Happening”: Producer/Director John Ebert; Editor Jaime Roberts; Co-Producer Will Hartman
o “WMDT News Hour Changes”: Producer/Writer John Ebert; Editor Charles Roberts
o “WMDT News Hour Feb 2017”: Producer/Writer John Ebert; Editor Charles Roberts
AND MORE CONGRATULATIONS
• To Sarah Truitt for catching this great storm shot which our Weather Team used on air and the network picked up. It’s been everywhere so the Station is getting great exposure!
• To Stevie Danielczyk and Christina Stull, both of whom just received bachelor degrees from Salisbury University and to Kyleigh Panetta who graduated from Manhattan College.
• To John Ebert for passing the aeronautics exam with flying colors (pun intended) and getting his Remote Pilot in Command license. We can now put our drone back in service!
• To Julian Sadur on his promotion to primetime co-anchor.
OUT IN THE COMMUNITY
Meteorologist Jaisol Martinez volunteered her time to be in the dunking booth on Saturday (5/20) to help raise money and awareness for the Wicomico Humane Society’s Cause for Paws event at Winterplace Park in Salisbury.
On that same weekend, Lissette Nunez and Julian Sadur were celebrity bartenders at the Hats for Hospice event. They helped raise $25,000 for the organization that benefits Coastal Hospice.
On Wednesday (5/24), I participated in presenting awards at the Wicomico County Tourism reception.
On Saturday (5/27) from noon to 2PM, our Meteorologists did a Meet-and-Greet on the boardwalk in Ocean City. They took pictures and chatted with some of the locals and tourists. Luckily, the weather held out for a good adventure!
On Wednesday (5/31), we hosted a thank you reception for our Team of Weather Watchers.
On Saturday (6/3), Station winners of the AP awards attended the banquet in Ocean City. See first paragraph.
TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME!
• Update: We have four terrific seats plus a parking pass for each of the games listed below. If you have family, friends or just a special event coming up later in the summer, check with Tamara Horn to see if there is a home game that night. As always, if you are interested in any of these games, give her a call at x 396.
• In June, we have
o Sunday, 25 June Afternoon game starts at 2:05PM
o Monday, 26 June 7:05PM game time
o Tuesday, 27 June 7:05PM game time
o Thursday, 29 June 7:05PM game time
• And in July, we have
o Wednesday, 5 July 7:05PM game time
o Thursday, 6 July 7:05PM game time
o Wednesday, 12 July 7:05PM game time
o Thursday, 13 July 7:05PM game time
THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF BOOKS!
• The book drive was a great success here at the Station. Sales Manager Teri Monahan hit the mother lode of donations with an estate donation of about 1,000 books. Other employees freed up space on their bookshelves and/or did a bit of shopping plus a viewer or two dropped by with donations for a grand total estimate of over 1,500 books. And the book drive was a success everywhere, yielding a total of 9,247 usable books plus 25 cases of uncounted books from all of the collection points. Again, thanks to everybody who helped out.
COMINGS AND GOINGS
• Jordan Wharton finished up 21 May
• Kelsie Cairns, Weather intern, started on 23 May
• Jordan Davies, Sports Photographer, started on 24 May
• Lauren Vail joined our Master Control Team today.
• Lenita Wesson will be leaving our News Team this Friday. We wish her only the best with her relocation to Virginia, where she will join her husband.
• Matt Kubisiak will be leaving us this Friday for a newspaper reporter position. We wish him good luck in his new endeavor.
• I will be retiring the end of the year. Wish me luck with that Bucket List!
ANNIVERSARIES OF NOTE:
• Danielle Jackson will be celebrating her first anniversary with us on Thursday
• Kenny Christopher will be celebrating his first anniversary with us on Thursday as well
• Teri Monahan will be celebrating her 8th anniversary with us since her hiatus. Prior to this, Teri had been with our Station bringing her total years to 24.
A 47 ABC SPECIAL IN THE NEWS HOUR
• Beginning today and airing for five consecutive days, Anchor Ryan Eldredge will present a Political Insider Special with Delaware Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester.
SPECIALS AND PREMIERES ON 47ABC THIS WEEK:
• Wednesday at 8 = JKL Game Night followed by NBA Finals
• Friday at 8 = JKL Game Night followed by NBA Finals
• Saturday at 9 = 20/20 In an Instant
• Sunday at 8 = season premiere of Celebrity Family Feud
• Sunday at 9 = season premiere of Steve Harveys’ Funderdome
• Sunday at 10 = season premiere of The $100,000 Pyramid
BIG DEALS THIS WEEK INCLUDE
• Monday = The Irish Penny in Salisbury ($20 voucher for $10)
• Wednesday = The Red Door Sub Shop ($20 voucher for $10)
• Friday = OC Fish Company in Ocean City ($20 voucher for $10)
• Caribbean-American Heritage Month
• Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month
• National Zoo and Aquarium Month
SPECIAL DAYS THIS WEEK INCLUDE
• Today is Hot Air Balloon Day
• Tomorrow is the Anniversary of D-Day (1944)
• Wednesday is Chocolate Ice Cream Day
• Thursday is Best Friends Day
• Friday is Donald Duck’s Birthday (1934)
• Saturday is the running of the Belmont Stakes, third leg of the Triple Crown
WE CURRENTLY HAVE EIGHT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS:
• MCO (part time/ fill in; potential for full time): see Ken Evans
• Account Executive (full time): See Teri Monahan
• Digital Web Programmer (full time): See Greg LaFrance
• MMJ/Producer (full time): See Sarah Truitt
• News/Digital Research Assistant (full time; summer temporary position): See Sarah Truitt
• Web Producer (Full Time): See Sarah Truitt
• Studio Tech (Part Time): See Matt Sigler
• Weekend Anchor/Reporter (Full time): See Sarah Truitt
In-house candidates are encouraged to contact the respective Supervisor at their earliest convenience. If you know of someone who has the necessary qualifications and would be a good addition to our Team, please share the information about these openings with them. Brief job descriptions are posted on both bulletin boards and applications and more information can be found on our website. Marquee Broadcasting, Inc., along with its holdings, is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Make it a great week!