Monday Memo – May 8, 2017
TO: ALL STAFF
DATE: 8 MAY 2017
MEET TALON FOREMAN
On Saturday, Talon Foreman started with us as a part-time Master Control Operator. Talon is a student at Salisbury University studying Media Production. His related broadcast experience includes working as a Videographer/Editor for PAC-14, a Video Editor for WRDE and Videographer/Editor Intern at WBOC. He also currently serves as News Correspondent/ Tech Director/ Floor Manager for Salisbury University Television. His academic achievements have earned him a place on the Dean’s List. Please join me in welcoming him to our Team.
THE MAY RATINGS PERIOD IS IN FULL SWING
• This is another reminder that you, as an employee of a broadcast facility, and your immediate household may not participate in any of the Nielsen Surveys. If you receive a phone call or related paperwork, just advise them that you are a broadcaster and cannot participate. If you have any questions, see your Supervisor.
JOIN THE WAR ON TICKS
• You can do your part to help stop the spread of tick-borne disease by catching and sending ticks to the Bay Area Lyme Foundation. Put the critter (dead or alive) in a zip lock bag, along with a damp cotton ball or paper towel. Fill out a simple information card provided online at bayarealyme.org and send it all in.
TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME!
• Update: We have four terrific seats plus a parking pass for each of the games listed below. If you have family, friends or just a special event coming up later in the summer, check with Tamara Horn to see if there is a home game that night. As always, if you are interested in any of these games, give her a call at x 396.
• In May, we have
o Tuesday, 16 May Morning game time is 10:35AM
o Monday, 22 May Game time is 7:05PM
o Tuesday, 23 May Game time is 7:05PM
o Wednesday, 24 May Morning game starts at 10:35AM
• And in June, we have
o Thursday, 1 June Game time is 7:05PM
o Sunday, 4 June Afternoon game time is 2:05PM
o Sunday, 11 June Afternoon game time is 2:05PM
o Monday, 12 June Game time is 7:05PM
o Thursday, 22 June Game time is 7:05PM
WALK TO END ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE T-SHIRTS
• We will once again be Media Partner in the Walk to End Alzheimer’s Disease. As a thank you, they provided us with two size large t-shirts commemorating last year’s walk. We have two t-shirts so we will have two winners. You can sign up for your chance to win on the bulletin board at the employee entrance. The winner will be drawn Friday morning and announced in the next Monday Memo.
A GENTLE REMINDER
• The book drive continues through the 20th of this month (end of next week for those of you who don’t have a calendar handy). If you have books to donate, please bring them in at your earliest convenience. In advance, thanks for whatever you can do.
TWO-DAY 47 ABC NEWS SPECIAL
• Wednesday and Thursday, Emily Lampa will have a 2-part News Special on victim’s rights in the 5:30 News Hour. This special will raise some serious issues about victim’s rights, asking the question, ‘has our legal system let us down?’
SPECIALS ON 47 ABC THIS WEEK INCLUDE:
• Wednesday at 9:30 = season finale of “black-ish”
• Thursday at 10 = season finale of “The Catch”
• Friday at 9 = season finale of “Shark Tank”
• Sunday at 8 = 2-hour season finale of “Once Upon a Time”
ONE SPECIAL ON DELMARVA’S CW3 THIS WEEK:
• Thursday at 9 = season finale of “Riverdale”
OUT IN THE COMMUNITY
• Yesterday, Daniel Johnson participated in and emcee’d the Kidney Walk fundraiser from Winterplace Park. Following warm up exercises and announcements by Daniel, the Walk kicked off at 10AM with somewhat improved weather.
• Tomorrow evening, Michelle Mackonochie will be participating in a panel discussion on how to best interact with the media for the Young Entrepreneurs Academy at Salisbury University. The event is free and open to the public. It will be held in the Wicomico Room at the Guerrieri Center. 47 ABC is a sponsor of the event.
• This Saturday morning, I will be helping to build a Rotary-sponsored ramp in Eden for a wheelchair-bound child in need.
COMINGS AND GOINGS
• Leon Preston is no longer with our Stations.
BIG DEALS THIS WEEK INCLUDE
• Monday = Ky West in Ocean City ($20 voucher for $10)
• Wednesday = The Shrimp Boat in Ocean City ($20 voucher for $10)
• Friday = Snappers in Cambridge ($20 voucher for $10)
• National Bike Month
• National Military Appreciation Month
• Women’s Health Care Month
ALL THIS WEEK IS
• National Nurses Week
• Be Kind to Animals Week
• National Hug Holiday Week
• Goodwill Industries Week
SPECIAL DAYS THIS WEEK INCLUDE
• Today is the Anniversary of V-E Day (1945)
• Tuesday is “Butterscotch Brownie Day”
• Wednesday is “Shrimp Day”
• Thursday is “Eat What You Want Day”
• Friday is “Limerick Day”
• Saturday is Letter Carriers “Stamp Out Hunger” Food Drive
• Sunday is Mother’s Day (remember yours)
WE CURRENTLY HAVE FOUR IMMEDIATE OPENINGS:
• MCO (part time/ fill in; potential for full time): see Ken Evans
• Account Executive (full time): See Teri Monahan
• News Producer (full time): See Sarah Truitt
• Web Programmer (full time): See Greg LaFrance
In-house candidates are encouraged to contact the respective Supervisor at their earliest convenience. If you know of someone who has the necessary qualifications and would be a good addition to our Team, please share the information about these openings with them. Brief job descriptions are posted on both bulletin boards and applications and more information can be found on our website. Marquee Broadcasting, Inc., along with its holdings, is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Make it a great week!