Fire marshals blame spontaneous combustion for Salisbury sub shop fire

Photo courtesy of the Salisbury Fire Department Facebook page

The Maryland Office of the State Fire Marshal says the Tuesday evening fire at Johnny's Sub and Sundae Shop in Salisbury can be blamed on the spontaneous combustion of rags.

According to officials, a passerby noticed signs of fire at the business located in the 1100 block of East Main Street shortly before 9 PM. Salisbury firefighters responded, with 20 firefighters taking around 20 minutes to get the fire under control.

Investigators say the fire was accidental, originating in a rear storage room from rags that reportedly spontaneously combusted.

Damages to the structure are estimated at $1,000, while damage to the building's contents are estimated at around $1,500, officials said.

Categories: Local News, Maryland

More: