Fire Marshal: Delmar house fire caused by overloaded extension cord

Photo courtesy of the Delmar Fire Department Facebook page

The Office of the State Fire Marshal says a Monday evening fire in the Maryland part of Delmar was caused by an overloaded extension cord.

Shortly after 7:30 PM, firefighters responded to a blaze in a two story wood-framed home in the 300 block of Highland Avenue. Officials say it took around 30 firefighters nearly one and a half hours to control the fire.

The Delmar Fire Department reports that they were assisted by firefighters from Salisbury, Hebron, Parsonsburg, Laurel and Sharptown.

An investigation into the fire's origin revealed that the fire was accidental, starting in a bedroom with an overloaded extension cord. The monetary loss to the structure is estimated at approximately $120,000 with $10,000 in damages to the home's contents.

Fire marshals say the home did have a working smoke alarm. No injuries were reported.

Categories: Local News, Maryland

More: