Dover home invasion suspect pleads guilty to burglary
A man charged in connection to an April 2016 armed home invasion in Dover has pleaded guilty, according to the Delaware Department of Justice.
Hakeem Leonard pled guilty on Tuesday to second degree burglary and was sentenced to 18 months in prison followed by one year of probation, Department of Justice spokesperson Carl Kanefsky said.
Leonard was originally arrested on assault, firearm and home invasion charges on April 17, 2016 when he reportedly broke into a house on Willis Road and fired multiple shots from a handgun at a victim inside the home. According to the original press release from the Dover Police Department, one shot struck the 22-year-old male victim in the chest. Despite getting shot, the victim was reportedly able to fight with Leonard, who then fled the home.
Police said the victim was transported to Bayhealth Kent General Hospital. Coincidentally, police said Leonard, who had been developed as a suspect, also showed up at Bayhealth Kent General Hospital seeking treatment for his injuries from the struggle with the victim. Leonard was arrested at the hospital.