Monday Memo – June 20, 2016
TO: ALL STAFF
DATE: 20 JUNE 2016
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE NEWS DEPARTMENT!
On Tuesday of last week, Sarah Truitt and Emily Lampa accepted the “Drug Free Wicomico Community Underage Drug Use Impact Award” from the Wicomico County Health Department on behalf of our Station. The award specifies “to 47 ABC for their generous contribution to the community by sponsoring a week long educational program on prescription opioids and heroin abuse in Wicomico County, Maryland”. Nice job, everybody!
FREE SHOREBIRDS TICKETS ARE STILL AVAILABLE FOR JUNE GAMES!
Come on out and cheer on our local team to further victories. Tickets are available as follows:
- Monday, 27 June (“Two Buck Monday”)
- Wednesday, 29 June
- Tuesday, 5 July
- Wednesday, 6 July
- Wednesday, 20 July
- Monday, 25 July
- Tuesday, 26 July
All games start at 7:05 unless otherwise noted. Fourth of July fireworks game is taken. See Elaine (x 340) for tickets or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. Tickets will be distributed on a first come basis.
ENGINEERING SCHEDULE THIS WEEK:
- Drew is Early Guy
- Jeff will be Early Guy when he returns on Wednesday
- Bill is Late Guy
JOINING OUR TEAM LAST WEEK……
Danielle Jackson joined our Team last week as our new Assignment Editor/ Associate Producer. Danielle has served internships at WBAL, the NBC affiliate in Baltimore, WBOC, here on Delmarva, and at our own stations where she gained a wide variety of skills including studio skills, social media traffic, newscast production, writing for web and broadcast, doing voice-overs and coordinating public events. She graduated from the University of Maryland Eastern Shore with a Bachelor of Arts in English with a concentration in telecommunications. She also has a wide range of computer and editing skills. If you see a new face around the Station, stop and introduce yourself to help her feel at home.
Ashonti Ford is joining our News Department today as an MMJ/Reporter/Producer. She comes to us most recently from KMIR News in Palm Springs, CA, where she served as an intern. Prior to that, she worked as on-air talent at DASH Radio in Hollywood, CA, where she also researched and presented show topics. Other related jobs include Kip Morrison & Associates in Beverly Hills, CA, (writing press releases and coordinating events), PBS (Marketing Coordinator), and internships at CBS Investigative in Miami and KGO (ABC in San Francisco). Ashonti is a graduate of San Francisco State University and holds a Bachelor of Arts in Broadcast Communications. Please join me in welcoming her to our Team.
YMCA MEMBERSHIPS FREE TO EMPLOYEES: Whether you are full-time or part-time, you are eligible to sign up for your free basic third quarter YMCA membership simply by being an employee of 47ABC. We recognize that a healthy workforce is a productive workforce and we want to do our part to help you get or stay fit. This opportunity is available to you and your immediate family who live in your household: spouse, significant other and kids. The sign-up sheets are on either of the Station bulletin boards. If you want to have that free basic membership, sign up by the end of June. If your family status has changed (i.e. single to family) or you no longer wish to have your membership, make the appropriate notations on the list. If you are a new employee, check with your Department Head about adding your name and status. Check out the YMCA website for details about other area YMCA’s that your membership would be good for.
OUT IN THE COMMUNITY
This was an incredibly busy weekend on Delmarva with three major events: Firefly in Dover, OC Air Show in Ocean City and Shore Craft Beer Festival in downtown Salisbury. 47 ABC was a Media partner for the latter two. Shown here is AE Terri Mahoney with Kimmerly Messick, our partner at Bethany Resort Furnishings and friends for a tent at the event.
AE Terri Mahoney is shown here with the Team from the Farmers Bank of Willards, also our partner for a tent.
As mentioned above, we were also Media Partners for the Shore Craft Beer Festival in downtown Salisbury. A first-year event, it had its challenges with all the local events who were in competition for bodies. No pictures were available.
- Tuesday, I will be speaking to the Wicomico Rotary (lunchtime) Club, who has requested to hear more about the growth of the Station, the direction broadcasting in general is taking and why we believe in community service.
- Wednesday at 5PM, we are hosting a reception for our Weather Watchers at the Station
- Friday, I will be at the CFES 5th anniversary luncheon celebration of the Women’s Fund
- Saturday, I will be working at the pollinator’s booth in support of “Pollinators Day at the Zoo” for the Master Gardeners
- Saturday evening, Emily Lampa, nominated for an Emmy, Nick Waligorski, Josh Lynch and Michael Lawrence will be in Baltimore for the Emmy Awards Banquet.
COMINGS AND GOINGS
- Kiyana Lewis finished up last week
- Monday = The Palace in Milford ($20 voucher for $10)
- Tuesday = Serendipity in Long Neck ($20 voucher for $10)
- Wednesday = Green Hill Country Club in Salisbury ($60 voucher for $30)
- Thursday = Hometown Diner in Milford ($20 voucher for $10)
- Friday = Market Street Pub House in Denton ($30 voucher for $15)
SEASON PREMIERES ON 47 ABC PRIME THIS WEEK:
- Thursday from 8-10 = season premiere of “Battlebots”
- Sunday at 8 = season premiere of “Celebrity Family Feud”
- Sunday at 9 = season premiere of “The $100,000 Pyramid”
- Sunday at 10 = season premiere of “Match Game” with Alec Baldwin
- Gay and Lesbian Pride Month
- Men’s Health Education and Awareness Month
- National Zoo and Aquarium Month
ALL THIS WEEK IS:
- Lighting Safety Awareness Month
SPECIAL DAYS THIS WEEK INCLUDE:
- Today is the official first day of summer (and it feels like it!)
- Tomorrow is “Go Skateboarding Day”
- Friday is national “Take Your Dog to Work Day”
- Saturday is the 65th anniversary of the first color TV broadcast over the air
- Saturday is the “Great American Backyard Campout”
WE CURRENTLY HAVE SIX IMMEDIATE OPENINGS:
- Master Control Operator (fill in, part time): Interested candidates should see Ken Evans.
- Accounting position in the Business Office (full time): Interested candidates should see Lindsy Adkins
- Technical Director/Studio Tech/Editor (full time): See Josh Lynch
- News Editor/Studio Tech (part time): See Josh Lynch
- Account Executive (full time): See Teri Monahan
- MMJ/Weekend Producer (full time): See Sarah Truitt
In-house candidates are encouraged to contact the respective managers at their earliest convenience. If you know of someone who has the necessary qualifications and would be a good addition to our Team, please share the information about these openings with them. Brief job descriptions are posted on both bulletin boards and can be found on our website. 47ABC, Delmarva’s CW3 and Me-TV: An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Make it a great week!