Boy Critically Burned In Sparkler Accident - 47 ABC - Delmarva's Choice

Boy Critically Burned In Sparkler Accident

Posted: Updated:

SWANTON, Md. (AP) - Authorities say a 9-year-old boy was severely burned in a fireworks accident in western Maryland.
    
The State Fire Marshal's Office says the boy suffered burns on 50 percent of his body, including his upper torso, neck and arms. He was taken by helicopter to a hospital and was in critical condition after the accident Friday morning.
    
Authorities say the boy was at the Savage River State Forest with his mother, who was inside a tent at the time of the accident. Investigators found that the boy went outside and ignited a sparkler, which caused his shirt to catch fire.
    
State Fire Marshal Brian Geraci is urging parents to keep fireworks out of the reach of children.

 

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WMDT. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.