Delaware 10-Year-Old Fights Hunger With Brown Bags - 47 ABC - Delmarva's Choice

Delaware 10-Year-Old Fights Hunger With Brown Bags

Posted: Updated:
Courtesy: Christy Mannering Courtesy: Christy Mannering

DOVER, Del. - A simple question from First Lady Michelle Obama sparked a big project for one Delaware 10-year-old.

"I'm hoping we can talk a little about food insecurity," said Braeden Mannering to a group of 4-H kids.

He was invited to share the story of 3B, "Brae's Brow Bags," and his fight against hunger. It's one he's been passionate about for a year, as he hands out bags of bottled water, fruit and other healthy snacks to those in need.

"If you're homeless and you can't have a banana or an apple because it won't last outside, then that's an injustice to you," Christy Mannering, Braeden's mom explains about the thoughts behind 3B.

He's handed out more than 1,200 to shelters, soup kitchens or even on the street. The first was given to a man, standing with a cane in the rain.

"That impacted him because that man said to him, 'hank you, son,' and was genuinely pleased with this bag," said Christy Mannering.

The idea was born from another food win. Braeden was chosen to represent Delaware at the Healthy Lunchtime Challenge banquet at the White House. His taco bowl creation earned him a seat at dinner with the First Lady, who offered yet another challenge.

"Michelle Obama asked me to pay it forward," Braeden said.

He's done that not only with lunches, but also by lobbying Delaware legislators to find ways to help end hunger. He's also gained the attention of the University of Delaware, and has asked them to donate unused food to area shelters through a food recovery program.

Fighting food insecurity one bag at a time has also earned him a number of awards, including recognition from the governor and winning the Disney Hero for Change Award. He's currently in the running for a Peace First Award.

But, he's not entirely alone on the project. Community volunteers have come out with dozens of helping hands in the last year, packing bags for donations.

"Most of the things that Breaden's done have been very simple, but he's taken the time to make them happen," said Christy Mannering.

And his message to others is simple: "Everyone can help, even you," Braeden said.

He plans to honor those who've helped him with a one year bash in August. He said he'd like Mrs. Obama to attend, but understand's if she won't make it.

To learn more about Brae's Brown Bags, click here: http://braedenquinn.com/.

  • Local NewsDelmarva HeadlinesMore>>

  • Head-On Car Crash Kills 3 In Accomack

    Head-On Car Crash Kills 3 In Accomack

    Saturday, August 30 2014 11:39 PM EDT2014-08-31 03:39:26 GMT
    ACCOMACK COUNTY, Va. - A head-on collision has taken the lives of three after a drunk driver struck a car holding six people. The drunk driver, who was driving a van, has been arrested for DUI. The crashMore >>
    ACCOMACK COUNTY, Va. - A head-on collision has taken the lives of three after a drunk driver struck a car holding six people. The drunk driver, who was driving a van, has been arrested for DUI. The crashMore >>
  • Family of Deceased Magnolia Man Speaks Out

    Family of Deceased Magnolia Man Speaks Out

    Saturday, August 30 2014 10:54 PM EDT2014-08-31 02:54:56 GMT
    MAGNOLIA, De. - It's been a somber week for one Magnolia family, as unidentified human remains found across state lines turned out to be that of their missing loved one.More >>
    MAGNOLIA, De. - It's been a somber week for one Magnolia family, as unidentified human remains found across state lines turned out to be that of their missing loved one.More >>
  • Wyoming Delaware House Fire

    Wyoming Delaware House Fire

    Saturday, August 30 2014 10:54 PM EDT2014-08-31 02:54:16 GMT
    WYOMING, Del. - An accidental fire damaged a two-story Wyoming Delaware home. After an extension cord failed and ignited materials, black smoke began to rise from the bedroom window around 2 PM. NoMore >>
    WYOMING, Del. - An accidental fire damaged a two-story Wyoming Delaware home. After an extension cord failed and ignited materials, black smoke began to rise from the bedroom window around 2 PM. NoMore >>
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WMDT. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.