UPDATE: Suspect Arrested In Officer Involved Shooting - 47 ABC - Delmarva's Choice

UPDATE: Suspect Arrested In Officer Involved Shooting

Posted: Updated:
Brooks Perry, 28, of Milford Brooks Perry, 28, of Milford

EASTON, Md. - The suspect wanted for shooting at troopers early Thursday morning in Talbot County has been arrested.

Maryland State Police say members of their Special Tactical Assault Team Element arrested 28-year-old Brooks Perry around 1:30 PM on Thursday.

"Our tactical troopers approached that area used a bullhorn to call to the suspect to let him know that he was surrounded," said Greg Shipley. "A woman shortly before eight this morning saw the man approach her house and knock on her door. He met the description and she did not open the door, but called 911 instead."

When police locked the area down for the search, residents inside their homes were told to stay there. Those who were outside the lines, like Mark Lednum tells WMDT they were told to stay away.     

"I'm waiting to get by to get to my house my daughters there by herself," said Lednum.

Police let Lednum and other residents back to their homes several minutes after Perry's arrest.

Perry was reportedly wearing a coat and was in good condition, with only some scratches and complaining of being cold.

Troopers brought Perry to the Easton Barrack for processing, where he was given food and charged with two counts each of attempted first degree murder, attempted second degree murder, first degree assault, second degree assault, reckless endangerment, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony/violent crime and one count of fraudulent personal identification to avoid prosecution. Perry was also charged with multiple traffic offenses including fleeing and eluding and driving on a revoked and suspended license. He is expected to be taken to the Talbot County Detention Center for an initial appearance.

Police say that Perry found within five miles of where the shooting took place. Authorities were patrolling the area West of Easton, and South of Route 50 after the incident. Residents were also alerted to the situation through the Connect CTY system.

The search was then focused on that area, when another citizen called 911 and drove to find a Trooper, to inform them that they saw a person matching Perry's description on Glebe Creek Road. Police say at least two other citizens helped Police by telling them where they had seen the suspect in that area.

Authorities say they closed in on the area of Glebe Creek Road and a State Police helicopter using an infra-red camera confirmed a heat source in the area. The suspect then surrendered peacefully to Troopers on the ground.

Police say the gun used by the suspect hasn't been recovered. At this time, MSP crime scene technicians and investigators are still looking for evidence, as the investigation continues.

As of earlier Thursday afternoon, authorities say they were focusing their search for Perry around the Easton Airport.

Perry was wanted in connection with an officer involved shooting. According to Police, Perry fled a traffic stop in Talbot County late Wednesday night and then later shot at troopers pursuing him on foot.

According to reports, the incident began, around 11:30 PM, when a patrol trooper saw a Hyundai speeding on Route 404, approaching Route 50. The driver, later identified as Perry, turned onto Route 50 and pulled into the shoulder. Police say Perry initially gave the trooper a false name and said he didn't have any identification.

Reports say the trooper noted signs that Perry was driving under the influence, so he called for backup. This is when Police say Perry acted suspiciously by asking the trooper if he was going to call for backup before fleeing the scene in his car.

A pursuit ensued and lasted about seven miles on eastbound Route 50.

According to police, Perry eventually pulled to the side of the road, near Hiners Lane and fled on foot across westbound Route 50 and onto the grounds of a golf course. Four state troopers reportedly followed on foot. Reports say Perry climbed a chain link fence, and when he reached the top, he pulled a gun and fired towards the pursuing officers.

That's when Police say Cpl. Joshua Resh returned fire. Authorities say Perry climbed down the fence and fled the area on foot.

Police say none of the troopers were hit by any gunfire and they reportedly found no evidence that Perry was hit either.

Authorities say Cpl. Resh was placed on administrative leave, which is procedure in police involved shootings. The Maryland State Police Homicide Unit and the Internal Affairs Unit is conducting an investigation is into the shooting as well. Authorities say this is also procedure in these situations.

  • ContestsMore>>

  • Teacher Who Makes A Difference

    Teacher Who Makes A Difference

    The WMDT 47 Teachers Who Make a Difference Contest is Sponsored by Accurate Optical: "Encouraging children of all ages to come in for an annual eye exam to help them see better in school." Each month weMore >>
    The 47 ABC "Teachers Who Make a Difference" Sponsored by Accurate Optical Encouraging children of all ages to come in for an annual eye exam to help them see better in school.More >>
  • Free Tuition Contest

    Free Tuition Contest

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WMDT. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.