DOVER, Del. - New details are emerging in the drug-evidence tampering case in Delaware.
Last week, the Department of Justice confirmed at least 21 cases involved.
Sources tell WMDT at least 25 drug-related cases were tampered with at the Chief Medical Examiner's office, some dating back as far as 2011.
Of those cases, 19 reportedly happened in Sussex and Kent Counties.
Last week, superior court judge James Vaughn denied the state's request on a two-month hold on all drug-related cases. WMDT reached out to the Department of Justice:
"There were drug cases set for trial [on Tuesday]," read the statement. "We were prepared to request continuances of trial dates for cases that involved drug testing by the OCME."
The decision was not immediately available.
As for testing, Delaware State Police says testing is still discontinued at this time and the department "continues to work towards an alternative plan to provide this service in the interim as the investigation continues."
"Because of evidence being compromised, good arrests are being thrown out in part," defense attorney John Brady said. "I expect this to go into the hundreds and I think the next time they come up with another update we'll have more cases out there."
Some of these cases were reportedly thrown out before ever going to trial. In others, sources say the defendants pleaded guilty.
Brady says that those defense attorneys can file a motion to re-open those cases.
Also, we're told the DOJ is now notifying attorneys involved and other attorneys that have open drug-related cases to give them the opportunity to view the drug evidence to see if it has been compromised.
Last Friday, chief medical examiner Dr. Richard Callery was suspended with pay pending the completion of an internal human resources investigation, according to the Department of Health and Social Services.