Residents Attempt To Thaw Pipes, Start House Fire - 47 ABC - Delmarva's Choice

Residents Attempt To Thaw Pipes, Start House Fire

Posted: Updated:

WICOMICO CO., Md. - According the Maryland State Fire Marshal, a house fire in Wicomico County has been ruled accidental.

The fire, at a home on Jones Hastings Road in Parsonsburg happened when the owners reportedly tried to use a torpedo-type heater to thaw frozen pipes in their crawl space.  This apparently set the wood framing on fire, causing about $15,000 in damages.

To keep this from happening to you here are some tips.

Experts say insulate your pipes to help prevent freezing.  Also, seal any crawl spaces under the house where pipes may be exposed to keep cold air from getting to them.  If your pipes do freeze, never use an open flame to try and thaw them out.  This can cause the water inside to boil and break the pipes.  Lastly, turn on your faucet.  This give the water somewhere to go once it does start to thaw.

Then, call a plumber.

  • ContestsMore>>

  • Spring Gas Giveaway

    Spring Gas Giveaway

    Let WMDT fill up your tank! It's time for our Spring Gas Giveaway! More >>
    Enter for your chance to win a $100 Exxon/Mobil Gas Card!More >>
  • Teacher Who Makes A Difference

    Teacher Who Makes A Difference

    The WMDT 47 Teachers Who Make a Difference Contest is Sponsored by Accurate Optical: "Encouraging children of all ages to come in for an annual eye exam to help them see better in school." Each month weMore >>
    The WMDT 47 "Teachers Who Make a Difference" Sponsored by Accurate Optical Encouraging children of all ages to come in for an annual eye exam to help them see better in school.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WMDT. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.