Wal-Mart Evacuated Due To Carbon Monoxide Leak - 47 ABC - Delmarva's Choice

Wal-Mart Evacuated Due To Carbon Monoxide Leak

Posted: Updated:

LAUREL, Md. (AP) - Anne Arundel County fire officials say more than 250 people were evacuated from a Wal-Mart in Laurel because of a carbon monoxide leak.

The fire department says firefighters got an unrelated call about an injured employee Sunday morning when they detected elevated levels of carbon monoxide. All customers and employees were escorted out of the store. Employees were allowed to re-enter about 2 hours later.

The department says a malfunctioning heating unit caused the leak. Several units and the gas supply to them were shut off, and the building was ventilated until the CO levels went down.

No one was believed to have been harmed by the CO leak. The injured employee was taken to a hospital.

CO is an odorless, colorless gas that can be fatal in high concentrations.

 

(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • ContestsMore>>

  • Spring Gas Giveaway

    Spring Gas Giveaway

    Let WMDT fill up your tank! It's time for our Spring Gas Giveaway! More >>
    Enter for your chance to win a $100 Exxon/Mobil Gas Card!More >>
  • Teacher Who Makes A Difference

    Teacher Who Makes A Difference

    The WMDT 47 Teachers Who Make a Difference Contest is Sponsored by Accurate Optical: "Encouraging children of all ages to come in for an annual eye exam to help them see better in school." Each month weMore >>
    The WMDT 47 "Teachers Who Make a Difference" Sponsored by Accurate Optical Encouraging children of all ages to come in for an annual eye exam to help them see better in school.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WMDT. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.