SALISBURY, Md. - Authorities are crediting a dog, with helping its owner get out of a Salisbury house fire, alive. Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office says the blaze started just before 11:45 PM on Tuesday night, in the back of the West Schumaker Drive home.
The battery in the home's smoke detector was reportedly dead, so it didn't go off, but the fire marshal's office says the occupants dog alerted her to the fire, and she was able to get out safely.
According to the report, the fire took 10 firefighters, from 3 departments, 5 minutes to control, and caused $5,000 worth of damages. The cause has been ruled accidental, there was apparently a failure of the exterior light.