UPDATE: Overnight Fire In Willards Ruled Accidental - 47 ABC - Delmarva's Choice

UPDATE: Cause Revealed In Monday Night Fire In Willards

Posted: Updated:

WILLARDS, Md. - We now know the root of last night's fire that left behind $400,000 worth of damage at a home in Willards. The fire broke out at a home on the 8500 block of New Hope Road.

The State Fire Marshal's Office tells us the family had a chicken coop outside and were raising chicks for a science fair experiment."Something Went wrong within that chicken coop. There was a heat lamp there, I'm not sure if the heat lamp failed or if there was an electrical malfunction there, but that's what caused the fire," says Deputy Fire Marshal Cory Hurst.

We've learned that most of that damage is external with the exception of the attic. The family was asleep inside at the time, but all were able to get outside safely. No injuries were reported. The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental.

Powered by WorldNow
Powered by WorldNow All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WMDT. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.